12/31/11 - Freedom San Nic trip

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Off-Shore & Island Reports' started by Ricky-Ray, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Well-Known Member

Not my usual detailed report but here it is at least.

So I've been MIA from fishing for a little over a year now. Spent the majority of the first half of the year looking for a new house and the second half of the year taking care of our newbborn baby girl. I finally got the chance to get out on an overnight trip on the Freedom outta 22nd. St. Landing on thier last run of the year and it happen to be an San Nicholas island trip. Friday night loaded the boat with 36 anglers and we had a mixed tank of sardines and squid for bait. Motored over to Catalina Island for about an hour or so and made more squid then off to San Nic. Got there just at grey light and started fishing in the fog. Not much going on till after sunrise. Tommy would move the boat from one spot to the next a few times the fishing would be good and reset at least once or twice on that spot before moving on. We had fog all day and with little or no current made for slow rockfishing. We did manage to get some ling's, big whitefish, chuckleheads, sheepshead and a few other assorted rockfish. All fished in 20 fathoms or less. No exotics today like whiteseabass, halibut or yellowtail. With the fog it made for a cold, damp and long day. For once I was glad to head the captain say time's up we are on our way home.

Wound up with 3 whitefish, 1 sheepshead, and 4 chuckleheads. At least I got some fish taco and ceviche meat for the new year.

No pics, the motivation to take pics just wansn't there.

Happy New Year Everyone!

2. Yakman

Yakman Well-Known Member

Welcome back Ray, way to give it go, and congrats on the new baby girl!!!

3. Reuben

Reuben Member

nice glad you got out

4. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

glad ya got out my brada.

5. Albacrazy

Albacrazy Well-Known Member

Welcome back Ricky Ray! I know the feeling. I've been missing for awhile too : )

6. lpf-wildlandfire

lpf-wildlandfire Well-Known Member

last time i got out was with you drew in aug. lol tried to get out the last week of the season but my boss is not into fishing just slave driving

7. Island Girl

Island Girl Well-Known Member

Nice you finally got out, Ray!! I know how hard it is with a new kid in the house.... : )

Hope to see you sometime this season!! Miss fishin with you my friend!