169# YFT with MGFC

Discussion in 'Gulf Coast - Saltwater Off-Shore Boat Reports' started by captwells, June 15, 2009.

1. captwells

captwells Member

The fishing remains as hot as the weather which has heated up considerably the past couple of days. This past Friday I had Bain Chapman and crew and as usual tuna was the target. The day started real slow, even bait was hard to come by for us. Thank goodness all that changed and once we got our first bite at 1:15 it was good the rest of the day. We managed a handful of tunas up to around 80# and one nice cow dolphin and decided to head in for a quick limit of snappers but the tuna had another idea. As we were headed in I saw a bunch of small skipjack and blackfin tuna jumping and headed over to check it out. Just as I expected it was a whale shark with a huge school of tuna around it and the first bait out got smoked by a stud. Bain did an excellent job on the fish and an hour and a half we had 169# pig of a tuna on the deck.
    [​IMG]
    Gotta love a Mustad circle hook.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After the hour and a half fight we didn’t have time for the snapper but I don’t think they minded too much.
    [​IMG]
    Saturday I had Richard Green and although we couldn’t find the whale sharks we still caught some nice yellowfin and a limit of snapper.
    The fish are out there, it hasn’t been fast and furious but if you put the time in you will be rewarded and if we can just get a little current offshore the fishing should bust wide open. Inshore the snapper and amberjack remain as thick as ever. Look us up for your day on the water.
    Capt Billy Wells
    Mexican Gulf Fishing Company

2. saba

saba Well-Known Member

What a hog, nice job...

3. DIE-HARD

DIE-HARD Well-Known Member

NICE BIG A$$$ TUNA, THATLL FILL A COUPLE OF FREEZERS