2 Firsts

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater In-Shore Reports' started by benrd81, September 8, 2013.

1. benrd81

benrd81 Well-Known Member

Got the boat out a month ago with my Dad and Wife off of Gaviota and headed for the west end in search of threshers. Trolled around for a couple of hours through bait balls and birds working for nothing. Decided to head back down the line and do some drifts for halibut. Set up in 60 feet of water and started drifting in. In 45 about 100 yards off the kelp line got picked up. Fished headed straight for open water and was working on spooling me. Dad and me both instantly said batray. 10 minutes later and get it to color and we both about fainted when you make out the body and yell white seabass. Took me around the outboard twice before coming to gaff. The old man missed the first time (oh [email protected]%&) second time stuck and on the boat. First seabass for both of us. Went 54inch, 55lbs. What a first for me, still dreaming of the next one.

Took the boat out of Gaviota yesterday with the wife and 2 buddys. Making squid was no problem. Anchored up in a decent spot metering squid. Made about 10 pieces and then it shut down. No bites, not even the pesky sand dabs so decided to move. Ran down the line a little till we metered some more squid and reset the anchor. 20 minutes later and my buddy is hooked up on a rig he brought from florida that is 5 years old and been sitting in his truck for the last 3 years in the sun, how the hell it held up is beyond me. When this thing came to color I about fell down in the boat, looked like the hood of a pickup. Planed up perfect on the starboard side, sunk the gaff and over the side it came. First halibut hes ever caught and the biggest one I've ever seen. He still had a sand dab on the upper hook. I can only imagine what that poor thing was thinking the intire fight. Went 48inch, 49lbs. Can't wait to do it again.

Made it out the weekend before with the same crew, didn't catch anything, but saw red beenie and dad catch a nice butt trolling by us. You guys make 1 heck of a crew. Smooth as silk all the way to the boat. Great father son combo, nice to see you out there, brings back memories of when I was young.

Attached Files:

2. Easy Money

Easy Money Well-Known Member

Nice combo fishing Ben!!
    I think that's a first for us to have a post mention our teamwork out there. Very kind words thank you.
    It's been a good season so far and I look forward to seeing you guys out there soon.
    Hayden caught this 43# yesterday.

Attached Files:

3. benrd81

Nice job guys, been fun seeing you guys out there. Like I said brings back a lot of memories of me and my dad in our little (big at the time) 15ft aluminum. See ya again soon if work don't get in the way. Very nice job Hayden

4. catchofthemonth

that halibut is just stupid..... way to kill it dude.

5. Torrn

Torrn Well-Known Member

Nice job Ben!! Sounds like you got some great surprises and quality HUGE fish!

I did a solo run up there on Friday and landed 3 flats. 27-29-34 lbs. This one was 42"

Attached Files:

6. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Well-Known Member

Wow awesome report and awesome pics from all of you!!

7. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Way to go Ben. Saw your boat hooked up in the driveway the other day. Glad you got into some quality fish. Thanks for the report.

8. Yakman

Yakman Well-Known Member

Wow nice fish Ben, guys, way to GO! LOL

9. hoober

hoober Well-Known Member

Ken and I saw you up the line a couple of weeks ago. You had 4 guys with you and were all dressed in black. I turned to Ken and said" why is seal team 6 up here"
    That boat of yours is one well of a battle wagon!!!!
    Great job on the fish,keep it up.

10. benrd81

Thanks for the kind words gang and very nice fish Ben. Gonna attempt to make it out this weekend but looks like works gonna get in the way.
    Seal team 6, now thats funny hoober.