5/14 -REVENGE TRIP-TaZ vs. Yellowtail PART 2

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Off-Shore & Island Reports' started by TAZmanianANGLER, May 15, 2013.

1. TAZmanianANGLER

TAZmanianANGLER Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The Fish KILLIN Vessesl: San Diego

After last weeks strike out with the yellows I was determined to get my REVENGE on the Coronado Bruisers before the offshore season arrived. I was originally booked with the Shawn on the Aloha Spirit(for WSB), but the snotty weather cancelled the trip. While Jonesing to go fishing I got the call that all of us fellow Anglers love getting. A buddy whom I have not fished with since last season (due to his recent newborn baby) called me & said LETS GO FISHING... I said where to..? He said lets go Yellowtail hunting on the San Diego...!!! He didnt have too do to much convinicing. I already had a mission & was in it 2 WIN it!!!
    Headed out to SD @ 2:00am & got 2 Seaforth around 4:30am.
    Got our gear loaded on the boat & took off to grab bait @ 5:30.

[​IMG]
    tanking up with some Lively Bait
    [​IMG]
    Breakfast of champions

Got 2 the Islands around 7:30-8:00 & the search for the mighty Yellow commenced....!!

My set-up
    9'6" Custom Rainshadow rod
    Penn Squall 15
    50# Braid----> 25# Flouro
    2/0 live bait hook

1st couple fish the boat caught were a much different class of fish than last week. Looked like the rats from the offshore patties had grown up a little & joined the yellow invasion @ the Islands. I started to worry, but not for long.
    about 35 minutes into fishing.... my reel started to speed up with line burning off, put my reel in gear & BAM.... "FRESH ONE"....!!! With my drag set a lil tighter than last week I started to fight a fish w/ some shoulders.... Violent head shakes & line peeling off with heavy drag..... I knew for sure it wasnt one of the mini's that had been getting caught earlier....!!

[​IMG]
    5-7 minutes later this Beauty got the gaff & hit the deck....!!!!
    what a relief it was to land the fish..!! I was starting to think I was cursed & had to see a witch doctor for a second :lol: Satisified with the catch, But I wasnt done yet...!! Last weeks score was Yellowtail 2 TaZ 0. My Mission was not complete. I had to find me those bruisers who broke me off last week..!!!
    With all the "That Guy" anglers with their flashy gear & fishing apparel fishing the stearn & tangling everybody & their mommas while casting over one another, I decided I would dedicate a couple hours to slinging the iron on the bow.

The bite was nothing wide open, but we would scratch away at fish here & there. after a couple hours The Iron wasnt getting any love so I decided to go back to Fly lining some bait
    Capt Ryan went searching...One thing I like about his style... He looks for his own fish... He goes the extra mile to put us on the fish, while others stick it out @ one spot waiting & waiting...
    It was getting late & starting to look like we were going to end the day with a sub-par day of fishing till all hell broke loose. We got to an area with Yellowtail Boiling all over the place. We got Anchored & as soon as we got our baits in the water.... all u saw was Bent rods, Screaming reels & Anglers getting cheered on...!!! I didnt get bit right away & after I witnessed some EPic tangles, I decided to reel in my bait, pin on a fresh dine & cast away into the clear away from the madness....

as soon as my bait hit the water..... I GOT SLAMMED BY A BEAST...!!! This one was kicking my a$$ from the getgo...!! I knew it was a better class of fish right away. We were in Shallow Water & all I was thinking was this fish is looking for Rocks...!!! But this was my REVENGE trip & I wasnt having any part of it... I put the hurtin on that fish... I didnt give it any chance... with every raise of my rod tip I was holding down the line with my thumb to the rod, not giving him an inch, unless he tried to do a massive run. As soon as I got deep color I noticed that I had competition.... Last week it was Taz vs Yellowtail. This time around it was Taz Vs. Yellowtail Vs. Sea lion. I dug Deep inside to my Inner HULK , slightly Tightened up my drag & grinded away.....

did that damn Dog get my Yellow u ask??? HELL NO....!!!

[​IMG]
    perfect gaff shot & REVENGE WAS MINE!!!!!
    Time ran out & we had to leave them biting....!!!

Final Score TaZ: 2
    Yellowtail: 0
    Sea Lion : 0

[​IMG]
    REVENGE x2 (18 & 28#'s)

[​IMG]
    TAKE THAT....!!!

It felt good to get my 1st exotic of the year...!! Thank God I do not live close to SD, because my wife would MOS DEF leave me if we did..!! The San Diego is by far the best 3/4 day boat in SD..!! Capt Ryan is the YellowTail Whisperer himself. The fishing @ the Coronado Islands is nothing short of AMAZING..!!! If you plan on fishing in SD on a 3/4 day boat.... its a NO BRAINER....!! San Diego is #1...!! Fish with the BEST...!!

[​IMG]

& to all the Anglers who have been getting skunked on the Game fish or loose them in the fight. DONT GIVE UP...!! PUT IN YOUR TIME...!!!!!
    GET OUT THERE & FISH...!! You cant catch fish looking @ fish counts wishing instead of fishing. GO OUT & CONTRIBUTE to the counts...!!! Your time will come..!!

By the way... My buddy who invited me GOT the Yellowtail Skunk.
    He went 0-3. He was bummed but he knows how much work I put in till I finally scored & accepted the Skunk like a man..!! Next Time Derrek!!! ThX 4 the invite my man!!!
    Until the Next Bendo...!!
    -TaZ-

#1 TAZmanianANGLER, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  2. thelongranger

thelongranger Well-Known Member

3. Torrn

Torrn Well-Known Member

Awesome!! You got more than revenge! Getting 2 Yellows is sick!! Congrats Taz...you had it coming.

Great report and pics

4. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

You da' man Taz. I knew you'd get um. Great report on the boat.

5. spartan44

spartan44 Well-Known Member

Nice very nice :)

6. jephs422

jephs422 Well-Known Member

epic report. Glad to see you got your REVENGE!!

7. venturarodandlure

venturarodandlure Well-Known Member

Kick ass! Catching two yellowtail is a great day!

8. sfrjohn

sfrjohn Well-Known Member

Revenge is so sweet, great job and report.

9. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

They say revenge is a dish best served cold. In this case I would suggest sashimi:) Thanks for the report, glad you got to get back at em.

10. TAZmanianANGLER

[​IMG]

I actually tried it 4 the 1st time last night. I figured I owed it to myself make the REVENGE complete..!! All I can say is I can't believe it took me this long to find out
    How AMAZING it tasted...!! Before that my version of Sushi was a California Roll LOL

11. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Well-Known Member

Right on Tony, Congrats on the yellers and as far as the Shashimi. . . what the hell is wrong with you. Yellowtail is the best!! lol

Great report and pics brother!

12. hiplanesdrifter

hiplanesdrifter Well-Known Member

Very nice catch. That Capt. is known for his skills especially yellow, San Diego is a great boat, the one to go on for the short trips for sure.

13. rebelscott

rebelscott Active Member

14. Yakman

Yakman Well-Known Member

NICE FISH Tony....isn't revenge SWEET? LOL

15. GRUMPKILLER

GRUMPKILLER Well-Known Member

Those are good size yellows! Congrats! And thanks for the report!

16. TAZmanianANGLER

Sweet as can be Ron...!! :rockon::beerbang::dancinbananna:

17. derfsondeck

derfsondeck Well-Known Member

Right on Tony.Stoked for you.BUT I dont give a **** what anyone says raw yellowtail is no bueno you guys all kooky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Karim

Karim Well-Known Member

If i had the guts to mive out of los angeles, san diego would be the place. If i could land a decent job, fishing will be all day everyday.