Albacore on the chew

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Off-Shore & Island Reports' started by MrPukaShell, Jul 1, 2016.

1. MrPukaShell

MrPukaShell Well-Known Member

Hey folks, Just got back from a little vacation on the Oregon coast. We camped at Bullard State Beach and let me say it is one great campground. They even have an area where you can camp with your horses. You even have a little corral of your own. The campsites were spotless and free showers. Full hook up sites were $28.00 a night. The perch fishing on the beach was off the hook with Red Tails running up to 2.5 pounds. Up in Coos Bay they are running Albacore trips. The weather did not work out for us with high winds cancelling the trips. Look up Sharky's Charters on Facebook in Coos Bay for their recent trips. We took a Sportboat trip out of Bandon for a little rock fishing and had limits of 7 rockfish and two lings in 3 hours. Would like to go back to that area again

Tight lines

2. Ab Hunter

Ab Hunter Active Member

Oregon Coast Albacore

Thanks for the head's up... spent a lot of time in Brookings (just south of Coos Bay) and the fishing up and down the coast along with camping and fun activities for the kids is unparalleled. You can even prospect for gold in Gold Beach when the weather keeps you off the water. :clap:

3. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Puka, sounds like a great place to have a family Vacation. Get a lil normalcy in our lives maybe the wife and I will take the kids up there!
    Thanks brother.

4. MrPukaShell

MrPukaShell Well-Known Member

Hey Mikee,

I was just amazed at the fishing opportunities, outstanding rock fishing, perch fishing off the hook and beautiful beaches. Ultra clean campground's and cheap. We kayaked Sunset Bay and what an awesome place it was. Would like to fish there again with better weather. Looking forward to getting back to that area and I suggest anyone who has the time does the same.

Tight lines,

5. Ab Hunter

Ab Hunter Active Member

6. edskii

edskii Well-Known Member

I was just up there in June and fished out of Charleston. The fish quality was amazing. I also floated the Umquah River near Elkton and caught and released more than 50 SMB up to 5lbs. in about 3hrs. Truly an amazing adventure. The outdoor opportunities are amazing. My fishing buddy up there was out on his boat last week and landed 13 albies. Like you, I would love to do it again but a long drive.