Any info on these Avets?

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by DementedFish, November 7, 2004.

1. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

what?!?!?!?! who says u cant cast a 270!?!?!?!? man the spool diameter
    is almost the same as a SL30! and it free spools just fine. batman just
    wants to be able to cast a damn paperclip 100yds for some reason
    hahaha.

ok ill admit that the little chovies may be a little light to be casting with a 270. but who cares? hahaha they can swim!

but yah if you MUST have that extra casting distance with the super
    light live bait, i guess the saltiga may be better... although ive
    never owned one, so i cant really say anything about how well they
    freespool and how well they can cast paperclips hahaha.

2. conrad

conrad Active Member

Humm....

I feel like the devil's advocate here with this suggestion.. but what about the Avet MX? You have the additional line capacity, powerful lever drag, a choice of gear ratio's (4.5:1 or 6:1) and the ability to cast that paper clip that Pescador mentioned [​IMG]

And, the MX/MXJ runs in the $199 neighborhood saving about $150 (almost $200 saving over the BOSS 270)to fill that sucker with your favorite line combo, and takethe Missout to dinner to compensate for your lavishspending on fishing tackle[​IMG]

3. Sinker

The MX also now come in a 2-Speed as well.

What am I doing - I hate Avet the Company and its owners. Jeez I gotta stop responding to this thread before I actually tell someone to buy one.

4. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

Tim your just being the helpful soul that you are, offering insight and advice.......

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They Have a two speed MX?!?!?! Wow thanks Tim I might just buy one now[​IMG]

Pescador, you are exactly right lol everthing I own must be able to cast a paperclip. My 870 couldnt cast a 1/2 oz lead ball so I soldit lol.

I think the battle may be between the saltiga and the MX they both have good casting, drag and similar gear ratios. I would choose the MX if you wanted to save $$ and the Saltiga if you want a cool dodger/ cowboy colored reel lol.

Batman

6. conrad

conrad Active Member

Not only being helpful, Sinker, but your being honest... you said you hate "Avet the Company and it's owners" not Avet the reel.

I feel your pain, Im the same way. If I have a poor run with a company I generally will not ever do business with them again reguardless of how bad I want/need/desire their products. Ha, pride will be our down fall I tell ya..

One cool thing about the Saltiga.. It's Japanese!! Yea I know, "why is that soo cool??" well, the Japanese are Kings of the aftermarket supply!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Joey805

Administrator

That reel looks sweet Conrad!

8. conrad

conrad Active Member

Which reel are you referring to Joey?

If you like the saltiga's or own one and are looking to tweak it here is an awsome site... although you'll have to be patient with the ordering, it is in Japan.

http://www.plat.co.jp/english/daiwa/ize/saltiga20.htm

The saltigas are not my own, although I would like one but I think it would cost a Tackle ho like me a fortune to own one with the aftermarket suppies available.

9. bajadave

I have to agree with batty on this one. I've seen saltigas out cast the BOSS by a mile!

10. DementedFish

DementedFish Banned

Damn you guys have caught me in the middle! Now, the Boss 270x holds
    300 yards of 20 pound test, while the daiwa saltiga SA20 only holds
    170! The boss 270x is also .7 oz lighter than the Saltiga SA20.
    However, the drag on a saltiga and casting capabilities is much better
    on the salty. So thats why you guys have caught me in the middle lol.
    The only solution I can think of is putting Braid on the saltiga, and
    putting a topshot of mono on.

11. DementedFish

DementedFish Banned

Come to think of it, the Saltiga SA30 holds 300yds of 20, and only
    weighs one ounce more. So i think im going with the SA30.

12. Joey805

Administrator

BUY BOTH OF THEM!!

:D

13. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well wtiht eh saltigas you have a stron reel with strong drags so why dont you go with a saltiga 15 adn put spectra on it. It will be cheaper and weigh less. If you wanted to compare the 15 to anoter reel compare it to the 197. Either way I still see the Saltiga as the winner just because it casts better withc will come in handy.

Batman

14. conrad

conrad Active Member

Just get the blasted Saltiga [​IMG]and spool it with spectra.

The only reason not to spool it with spectra is the initial start up cost, and if you can afford a saltiga, the spectra shouldnt be a problem[​IMG].. plus it will add to your casting distance as well as add to the capacity.

It sounds like that is what you really want anyway (go with your insticts) plus it sounds like there arent too many people here with a Saltiga, so you can get one, and report back your impressions. No report like a local first hand report [​IMG]

15. Sinker

OK I hate you guys for this

<TABLE class=MsoTableGrid style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 480; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-border-insideh: .5pt solid windowtext; mso-border-insidev: .5pt solid windowtext" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1>
    <T>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0">
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; BACKGROUND: #a6a6a6; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt">
    Make</TD>
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; BACKGROUND: #a6a6a6; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt">
    Model</TD>
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; BACKGROUND: #a6a6a6; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt">
    Gear Ratio</TD>
    Line Capacity</TD>
    Weight</TD>
    MSRP</TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1">
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt">
    Daiwa</TD>
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt">
    SA30</TD>
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt">
    5.4:1</TD>
    20# Mono = 300 yards</TD>
    16.8 oz</TD>
    $399.00</TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2">
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; : transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt">
    Accurate</TD>
    270X</TD>
    4.6:1</TD>
    20# Mono = 300 yards</TD>
    20 oz</TD>
    $390.00</TD></TR>
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 3; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
    Avet</TD>
    MXL 6/4</TD>
    6.3:1 / 3.8:1</TD>
    20# Mono = 360 yards</TD>
    19 oz.</TD>
    $329.00</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    *Note: Avet MXL 6/4 is the only 2 speed.
    Biggest Bang for the Buck - oh I hate to say it, is the Avet.
    Best looking reel is the Daiwa
    Best manufactured Daiwa and Accurate
    Think about the uses for the reels. Which will be most versatile for you. Prices are close, line capacities are close, weights are close. Avet can be purchased in different colors and is the only 2-Speed.

16. Sinker

BajaDave has a Saltiga and it is SWEET as can be.

17. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

SHOOT, I THINK HE HAS SEVERAL... [​IMG] </font>

18. DementedFish

DementedFish Banned

Ya im going with the SA30 and im gonna pimp it up like those pictures conrad showed.

19. DementedFish

DementedFish Banned

Batty, Im not going with the SA15 or 20 because I have a Shimano
    TR-100g and it holds about 100 yards more of 15 than the SA20 does,
    plus its about 5 oz lighter. Its not worth it to me really.

20. bajadave

The saltiga 30T is theking for jigging. I use that reel 75% of the time while fishing in Panama. I would recommend the 30T for live bait and jig fishing. It's a great 30lb. rig.