anybody here try one of the "castable" fish finders?

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by JeremyTA, June 15, 2015.

1. JeremyTA

JeremyTA Well-Known Member

wondering if anybody here has gotten their hands on the "deeper" fish finder, or maybe the sonarphone or fishhunter products?.

looking for something i can easily attach to a small aluminum boat like the rentals at castaic, but also possibly cast out like the products above for something like shore fishing. im curious as heck to see if any of them actually do what they claim.

2. Carnivore

I had one of the old Hummingbird ones and it didn't do a thing. First you had to cast it and then try an read the screen in the sun light. The splash usually scared away what ever they were trying to find.

The new ones I don't have a clue.

3. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

I was gonna rig one of my old hummingbird FFers for rental use.
    Transducer on a pole that will clamp to the boat, motorcycle battery in a small milk crate with the display unit mounted on it, long enough leads. But I gave all my HB stuff to the guy that bought my Gregor.

4. Rip

Rip Well-Known Member

The fishing buddies that clamp on to the side work.

5. JeremyTA

that would be my alternative, i really wanted something even more portable so i might just take advantage of Amazons easy return policy and check one out. probably the Deeper. i just don't have anything else to test it up against LOL

6. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

I have a lowrance portable I use to use on a my boats it ha a suction cup that holds on transducer and the ff i mounted in a plastits box you can put the batteries in worked like a champ for me but it never showed the fish as arches they were always dots unless the bait swam by it would let you know. I will list it for sale later today with picks. I just got a raymarine dragonfly:) so no need for 2 ffs

#6 pete j, June 18, 2015
    Last edited: June 18, 2015
  7. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

pics

hope the worked

Attached Files:

8. Carnivore

Pete I think he fishes from shore so he is looking for a castable one like this. Deeper [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-SmartCast-1-25-Inch-Waterproof-Fishfinder/dp/B000752MKY"]smartcast[/ame]

9. JeremyTA

not just shore but for when i rent a boat out of castaic.

10. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

Its portable for any BOAT the batteries go inside the box along with everything else the transducer gets held on buy a suction cup. The lowrance fish finder and tranducer are almost brand new. Pm if intrested 55.00 bucks for gb members:)

11. Carnivore

Sorry Jeremy I didn't see the boat part. Then that one that Pete has would be great for that.

I made up one like his using a Humminbird and some PVC pipe with "D" batteries and though it worked, the one like Pete has is much easier to deal with.

12. MrPukaShell

MrPukaShell Well-Known Member

I don't have anything that I can cast but I use my fish finder that I use on my kayak on the rental boats. I have a water tight box that I have a small 12 volt sealed battery in. Like the ones used for a computer battery back up. I think it was $20.00 at Fry's. I have a Lowrance fish finder that has a Scotty mount on it. I have a Milk Crate with a Scotty mount on it. The transducer is on a thing that i clamp to the rental boat. I will see if can dig up some pics if you want.

13. JeremyTA

since now there will be a boat in my life i'm not sure i need a portable fish finder anymore lol. might have to take you up on that FF just to install on the boat though!. sorry i keep forgetting to reply here im usually on my phone and for some reason i can't remember my bloody password to sign in to reply!