Avet JX 6/3 MC Raptor

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Old & In The Way, October 20, 2010.

1. Old & In The Way

Monday, I bought my third JX 6/3 Raptor. I bought the first one in September, liked it so much I bought another, then another. It was designed as the premier Jig reel, for casting wahoo bombs/jigs, and yellowtail yo yo fishing. It also works very well for casting a sardine. These reels are so strong, you can use 80# flouro topshot, cast a sardine and easily catch a 150# tuna. You could also use it for dropper loop yellowtail or grouper. It's very light, 25 oz., compact, and very easy to crank 47 inches per turn, fast. It will hold 34# at strike, with 46# at full, with no binding. Line capacity is 375 yards of 65# solid spectra, with 75 yards of 50# mono., 450 yards total, enough to catch a 250# tuna. It's best feature is ultra fast retrieve speed, ease of fast cranking, and killer dual disc drags. The best wahoo reel, ever made. It works best with 40-50# line. Put it on a 8 ft. jig stick, cast a Raider jig 100 yards easily. Cost: $519.99.
    This reel will make catching wahoo, yellowtail, or tuna, relatively easy, with a long rod.

Attached Files:

#1 Old & In The Way, October 20, 2010
    Last edited: October 20, 2010
  2. Albacrazy

Albacrazy Well-Known Member

Is this a review or a plug for Avet? Don't get me wrong, I'm an Avet fan but have you put this reel to the test?

3. Old & In The Way

Yes, I've "tested" 3 of these reels, with calibrated scales, weights, etc. But the real "test", will be Dec. 26th, on a 10-day Excel trip. Hopefully, all 3 reels will get a "workout", with tuna and wahoo.
    The dual drag discs, 3/4" pinion bearing, and MC cast, make the reel easy to use. The ultra fast retrieve speed, 25 oz. weight, and very compact size, make it "comfortable" to use, for hours on end without fatigue. The quality construction and materials, make it reliable. It might be the best jig reel I've ever seen.

#3 Old & In The Way, October 25, 2010
    Last edited: October 25, 2010
  4. GotMojo

GotMojo Member

I'm pretty sure that the reel designed as the jig reel for wahoo etc.. is the HXJ aka the
    Hooex. The JX is a pretty small reel, regardless of the drag capacity. Oh, and here's a link to one at $467.99.