Avet LX 6/3 Binding

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by GotMojo, February 5, 2014.

1. GotMojo

GotMojo Member

Hello,

I purchased an Avet LX 6/3 for my father in law as a gift and now I've got it back. I took the reel in to Avet this afternoon and they serviced it while I waited. Not being familiar with the reel I thought I'd put it through it's paces by setting the drag at 15lbs at strike and checking out the free spool. The free spool is fantastic, but with the drag at 15lbs at strike the handle is hard to turn and when it's at full it ridiculous. I believe it's referred to as binding. This reel is advertised and rated to operate at 15lbs strike / 20lbs at full. I can't imagine that what I'm experiencing is normal. I'd like to here from other Avet owners to see if there reels operate in the same manner. I set my 12T up the same way and no problems what so ever.

Thanks

2. mcrae

mcrae Well-Known Member

Sounds like an Avet LX. It's not a bad reel,it just has more limitations than other reels.

3. "KNOT HOME"

"KNOT HOME" Well-Known Member

I have 10+ Avets including a few LX's....

Right After a Service - Your reel should be smooth as butta!

Their finicky sometimes but after a service should be perfect.....Why not take it back and have them check it....It works wonders when the mechanic "can actually hear the squeak" if you know what I mean....

4. Carnivore

^^^^ what he said ^^^^ It should be smooth as silk so take it back and have them check it.

5. firstcatch

firstcatch Member

My friend has had a problem with the same reel. He keeps trying to fix it himself and failing.

6. catchofthemonth

This is normal even after servicing them when you run them at max drag its placing a large amount of side load on the pinion bearing and it causes the heavy "binding" feeling. This is one of the main reasons a lot of people dont like Avet but to me its really a non factor since im not fishing for anything that I would really even need that much drag for. Just back off the drag preset nob a click or two and youll be good. If you run it at to high of drag you can actually break the bearing when you push the lever to full to hard.