Avet MXL MC 2 speed rod recommendations

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by SnickSnack72, Apr 30, 2015.

1. SnickSnack72

SnickSnack72 Well-Known Member

I just snapped my custom calstar rod that was given to me that was fitted with my smaller AVET MXL MC, rod was a 7'10 MH fast action. Any recommendations on a nice rod that is not to expensive to fit with this reel??? Up here I mainly used it for yo-yoing bucktail jigs and drifting blue gill while bass fishing for striper. I also use it jigging for salmon. Any recommendations would be awesome! I have gotten out of the saltwater loop a little bit since making the move up here and the transitions to bass fishing the delta.

2. Braunbear66

Braunbear66 New Member

Avet MXL line rated @ 15-30lb drag 9 lb. strike 14 lb. full. Snapped what a bummer. Try a nice Seeker

3. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

That is a pretty versatile reel. If you want to stay in the 8' range you can get a Terramar or Seeker 270-8 without breaking the bank. The Calstar you broke may be warranteed for the blank if you contact them or a retailer.

4. rpcrowe

rpcrowe Member

Breaking a Calstar

Unless you stepped on it or caught it in a car door, the Calstar should not have snapped if you set your drag to 1/4 or maximum 1/3 of the line weight recommended on the rod.

12-25 lb line weight for Shimano Teramar TMC80M

20-40 lb line weight for Shimano Teramar TMC80H

12-30 lb line weight for Calstar Westcoast Series 270-8

15-40 lb line weight for Calstar Westcoast Series 270H-8

I have a factory made Shimano TMC80H and a custom Calstar 270-8 and I like both of them. However, I prefer the Calstar for live bait and the Shimano for tossing light iron.

I have a MXJ Raptor which I use on the Teramar and an SXJ which I use on the Calstar.

#4 rpcrowe, Aug 17, 2015 at 7:16 PM
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015