avet sx noise

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by jodi805, Jan 22, 2010.

1. jodi805

jodi805 Well-Known Member

got a sx in green today turned the handle and at the same place every turn i hear a zip noise sounds like a tiny zipper, its my guess that a gear went on a shaft acouple of thou. out of tolerance and is binding at the one area? I know avets arent exzacly smooth reels or quiet but is it normal to have this clatter.It is minor becouse when i tilt the reel with the handle up it goes away due to less messhing of gears ,anyways issue or not? thanks for any help.

2. Carnivore

Not right that is for sure. Wonder if they missed some grease. Avet is just in chatsworth you can run it by an have them look at it.

3. jodi805

its really slight but for a precision reel that could mean probs.

4. Finadict

Finadict Well-Known Member

Get some line on the spool and see if it goes away. You mentioned the sound goes away when you tip the reel sideways..sounds like the empty spool is resonating..happens sometimes. We cut extra large teeth on the gears, so you can hear some gear noise compared to reels with fine helical cut gears, and the sound can be amplified with an empty spool. Line will dampen the sound a lot. Sounds like there may be more grease on one side of the main gear than the other...which is why it sounds "uneven". the grease will eventually disburse evenly. If you are still concerned about it, please give me a call at the factory: 818-576-9895, ask for Scott, we'll take care of it.

5. phishy

phishy Well-Known Member

nice having our own avet rep lol..nicely done scott

6. jodi805

yup! thanks Scott.