Avila rockfishing

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater In-Shore Reports' started by jmoore, Apr 22, 2016.

1. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Well its been a while since I have been out on the water. Had a good friend invite me on a quick trip for rock fishing before the next blow. Got to the launch around 0700hrs. Bankers hours for fishermen but we were only headed up the line a few miles from port and they don't open until 0660 anyways. Headed out in great conditions with little wind and only a long period swell. Got to some of our numbers in about 130 ft. and my friends dad catches a nice vermillion right away. Figured it was going to be on. Well it turned into a SLOW pick for a couple just legal lingcod and a few gophers. The water was 56 deg and full of red crab. The fish we caught were spitting up clouds of them. I even hooked one on a shrimp fly. We picked for a while on the slow fishing and then moved out to about 200 ft of water. No red crab out there and we are soon catching some very nice reds and white bellies and a couple more lings.
    Finished just short of our limit of rockfish and a total of 4 lings. With all the crab in the water red orange was the hot color. Jigs, scampi, shrimp fly, swim baits just as long as they had red orange. Got back to port, put the boat on the trailer, tied every thing down and it starts to pour rain. Perfect timing! Rained all the way home and then stopped when we got to the driveway. Perfect! Great day on the water and a great time.

Attached Files:

2. dudewarner

dudewarner Well-Known Member

Nice Haul, we have been seeing a ton of those red crab here in Santa Cruz. No body went out on the bay here today - it blew hard all day and poured rain.

3. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Well-Known Member

Very nice John, beautiful pics.

Great report!

4. walkerman

walkerman Well-Known Member

That is a load of good eats. Looks like you had a beautiful view of the coast while you were fishing. I am jealous.

5. Carnivore

Nice load of taco meat. Nice to see the fishing warming up. Congrats

6. SnickSnack72

SnickSnack72 Well-Known Member

saltwater crawdads! Glad you got some!