Back to basics 9/2 Late combo report

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater In-Shore Reports' started by catchofthemonth, Sep 5, 2015.

1. catchofthemonth

I copied and pasted this report from another forum I use regularly, Now that Ill be having regular access to a boat I will be posting more often on this board hope you yall enjoy.

I haven't been very active on the forums lately since I have spent most of my fishing time attempting to get into one of these wide open tuna bites..I have been out 4 times on two 2 day trips, one 1.5 day, 1 overnight trip and they all more or less panned out the same. I managed to land 1 fish on each of the trips in slow plunker bite fashion.

Yellowfin that saved me from the skunk at sundown on the Ocean Odyssey
    [​IMG]
    Fat yellowfin and some nice bonita off the Amigo at SBI
    [​IMG]
    My first bluefin on the First String
    [​IMG]
    A couple schoolie size YFT with my roomie on a private boat
    [​IMG]

Feeling a little burned out after lack luster results on multiple trips in a row (not to mention the 5 hour drive to SD and all the $$ spent) I needed something to revamp the fishing spirits. Luckily for me my room mate was in the market for a boat and I located a guy in town who had a killer deal on his boat because he was upgrading to something bigger and better. After talking to the dude for 20 minutes the boat was coming home.

Fish be very afraid!!
    [​IMG]

The boat came with everything, Marine radio, fish finder, GPS all she needed was gas in the tank and she was ready to slay. The trailer had been modified to accommodate the hoist at Port San Luis so naturally we decided to head north and pull on some bottom dwellers. We were on the water at 7 am and the boat was purring like a kitten 8).

My weapons of choice
    [​IMG]

We had only traveled about two miles before we pulled up on some marks that had been left on the gps. We dropped down and instantly all three went double bendo on some heavy black rock fish. the boat was drifting NW and there were rock piles EVERYWHERE. We wound up drifting for about 15 minutes continually hooked up with some heavy blacks and a few chuckleheads all in 60 FOW.

My bro with a couple black rock fish
    [​IMG]
    Sole that hit the diamond bar
    [​IMG]

Eventually we got on top of a rock pile that had better grade fish on it and I got slammed by what I was sure was going to be a lingcod when it stripped drag. To my surprise it was the biggest vermillion I have ever caught/seen! It had to be 7-8 pounds and had slammed a 4 oz lead head with a swim bait 8) . I marked the spot as my buddy landed a nice red off the same rock, we attempted to reset the drift over this spot but unfortunately we just couldn't seem to get the boat positioned right a second time and we kept missing the rock :evil: . We decided to move a little further out and try a drift on some deeper rocks and that's when we finally found some lings.

PB verm the pic doesnt do it justice
    [​IMG]

I was fishing a 4 oz head with a root beer scampi and Jeff was throwing a 10 oz diamond jig and we both hooked up simultaneously. I got my fish to the boat and it was a ling in the 24 inch range, I had just gotten it into the boat when I saw Jeff's ling coming up and it was BIG. It had the diamond bar in the bottom lip and it wasn't hooked well at all and wound up throwing the jig right at the surface :evil: . I released my ling and we reset on the rock and I instantly get bulldogged right when my lure got near the bottom. After a short tug o war I landed a nice 34 inch ling to send home with my brother for dinner. Jeff landed a barely legal also that was released.

Say cheese
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its nice being able to fish so shallow for rock fish since we were able to release %95 of the fish and none of them suffered barotrauma. My brother went out with us and this was his first time ocean fishing since he was 7 so I was stoked he was able to come out and have fun cranking on fish all morning. Now that I got my mojo back :lol: ill have to try and convince my roomie to trailer this bitch down south for some paddy hopping!!

Thanks for reading!!
    [​IMG]

2. Terry C

Terry C Active Member

Good stuff I used to fish the area off Montana De Oro regularly reds were bad ass drag pullers up there.

3. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

Those are some nice catches and I was I balling that boat for a long time to upgrade from my 16 footer did you score the kicker too? I'm slotting my trailer now for port san luis hope to catch you out there soon just so I can eyeball my loss

#3 pete j, Sep 11, 2015 at 8:47 PM
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  4. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

Plus do the dabs get bigger than that? I have caught a few and they were never even half that size and I understand their quite yummy but I aint eating spoon size ones. the one you got there looks really edible

5. catchofthemonth

its actually a sand sole not quite the same as a sand dab, this one was about 15 inches and im sure it would of made a nice meal. Didnt need the kicker so he kept it and dropped price a lil :). Hope to see you out there sometime!