Balboa & Newport pier

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Pier, Jetty & Harbor Report' started by fisha, Feb 21, 2004.

1. fisha

fisha Well-Known Member

does anyone fish balboa or newport pier? what are the best times of day and best time of the year to go? i have been there a few times over the last couple months and its been ok but mostly mackeral and smelt are being caught.

2. crawford23

crawford23 Well-Known Member

Fisha. I fish those piers quite abit. Well not lately. The fishing there has been slow. I've tried the harbor instead and well it's been slow too but a little better than the jetty. I've got a hunch that the end of Newport Jetty could be really good so i'm gonna try it out some more. As for the best times, It's pretty much just like every other place. Watch the tides adn stuff and right after sunrise and sunset. AS for the time of year, whenever it starts to heat up. Pretty much the fishing will heat up everywhere and so will balboa and newport.

3. fisha

fisha Well-Known Member

what part of the harbor and jetty do you fish?? what kind of fish do you catch in there, and what is the best setup to use?

4. fisha

fisha Well-Known Member

oh ya......the best time to fish is on the incoming tide right?

5. crawford23

Ok fisha, as for the harbor, I've tried a few spots but the conditions haven't been right...like tide to low to cast where i wanted to, and haven't really done so too well as of late. AS for the jetty, I've fished all the way up and down that thing from the north jetty and its been slow as of late. I will most likely fish the end of the jetty tomrrow so I'll give you a report on how it was.

6. Flipper

Flipper Moderator

Fisha... if the Mackerel bite is still good at Newport or Balboa, STOCK UP! Mack is awesome bait... stock up for summer when the fishing picks back up [​IMG].

7. crawford23

Flipper, you've got the same chance at catching a mackerel there right now as you do a legal halibut. Theres a few there but the bites dead. I havent seen them being caught or heard of them being present in a long time.

8. fisha

fisha Well-Known Member

crawford is right.......i havent caught a mack off the balboa pier for about a month or 2

9. DementedFish

DementedFish Banned

Yep. I havnt seen ANY at all anywhere. I usually only go saltwater fishing in the summer. I usually never go during the winter. I havnt tried balboa yet, but if i were to go there, i would bring 3 poles: 1 rigged w/ a high/low leader rig, 1 w/ a sliding sinker rig for rays and shovelnose and sharks, and one small trout pole with a bait rig on it for catching live bait. I usually fish san clemente, but i am DYING to try out balboa and newport harbor this summer.

Also, before you reach balboa pier, i noticed going along PCH that there is a long jetty extending out. Are you allowed to fish this jetty? Would i have better luck on the jetty, or on the pier? Thanks.

10. crawford23

As for those jetties, I dunno if you can fish off them but I suppose so. They don't jet out that far but it could be a good change of pace.