Beginner Kayak Fisherman (Santa Barbara) - Need Advice!

Discussion in 'The Yak Shack' started by tbank, Mar 12, 2013.

1. tbank

tbank New Member

Just purchased my first yak and am in the process of outfitting it for fishing. I'll be targeting white sea bass and halibut. I'm looking for advice on where to fish around the Santa Barbara area. Also, how far from the shore should I fish?

Cheers!

2. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Welcome to Get Bent Tay, Plenty of areas to fish near Santa Barbara. You should have good access at all the normal places. Haskells AKA the Bacarra, Refugio and Gaviota to name a few. Fishing for halibut and sea bass came often be in 60-90 ft. of water which in some spots can be a ways out. Be careful on the weather as the wind can change abruptly. We lost a young firefighter on a kayak up Gaviota way a couple years ago who was caught in a wind event. I have spent some time in a kayak but don't fish from them. At least not yet. Make sure you have some thermal protection along with your other safety gear and always head upwind so that your return is downhill. There was a great bite on the sea bass last year along the coast, have fun.

3. Ojos_raros

Ojos_raros Well-Known Member

try the one mile right now, its been really good lately

4. sb tuber

sb tuber Well-Known Member

in the santa barbara area halibut all over the coast some time you dont even need to leave the harbor to catch halibut nice big ones to just got to put in your time my not get one the few time you go out dont give up your turn will come make changes diffrent set ups all diffrent kids of bait

5. Gdoggsb

Gdoggsb Member

Shallow water Butts!!!

You also can fish structure and sand interfaces in shallow water..like 3 to 20 feet and catch big halibut. My best in this area is 24lbs in 4 ft of water! Plus it gets less pressure from bigger boats as they are not willing to risk their beautiful rigs in that shallow of water!!! Have fun and watch out for the MAN in the GREY Suit.