Better know where the So.Coast MPAs are effective 1-1-12:

Discussion in 'West Coast' started by valkyrie, Dec 16, 2011.

1. valkyrie

valkyrie Well-Known Member

2. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Good catch, going to sticky this one so we can keep it handy.

3. Ab Hunter

Ab Hunter Active Member

4. Ab Hunter

Ab Hunter Active Member

Well, here we are in 2017 & I was camping at Carpinteria State Park a few weeks back and figured I'd go poke around the reef free diving, maybe get a lobster or two for dinner.
    I punched up "MLPA" (on Google... hate saying that :) and what pops up is "proposed" closure encompassing Carp Park south to about the seal rookery by the oil service pier. I saw no date on the proposal, or if it had even passed as a new closure...(It's smooth as glass on the ocean & I'm raring to get wet so I'm getting nervous)

I call the Dept of Fish & Game... (oops Wildlife) at the 1-800 # listed and spoke to a gal that transferred me to someone she thought might know if I could dive to hunt / fish on the reef This gal immediately stopped me saying "she wasn't sure where Carpinteria was, but she didn't have responsibility for the "south coast" region and would transfer me to someone that did". I got someone's voicemail and left my message and crossed my fingers...
    Two hours later I get my call-back and this warden wasn't sure and the person that knew the info. was out for the day. He promised to find out if he could by calling Sacramento and call me back ASAP.

forty five minutes later he lives up to his promise and gives me the green light... when I mentioned the "proposed closure" and a query as to why there was no timeline within the proposal he said he didn't know, but maybe if I could call back the next day the warden that was knowledgeable about such things might be back.

I moved out of California four years ago, but still do a good deal of fishing & diving here and don't mind paying the "out-of-state" fees, but... well you get my drift.

Wind had come up so i cracked a beer and considered my naval.

5. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

The worst part about California is regulations, laws, and taxes only get worse. The people running the state and more over the F*****G stupid people voting for them, have their collective heads so far up where the sun doesn't shine that I don't see things changing for the better any day.

6. Ab Hunter

Ab Hunter Active Member

It's a "trend" (another word that irks me) that folks have embraced in California (make that : Southern California...south of Santa Rosa) that stereotypes anyone hunting or fishing as a Neanderthal. Any discussion of eating "healthy" wild caught food is met with a blank stare.

Things do change... America's acceptance and appreciation of our military men & women is refreshing... maybe it will carry over...?