Blue Mesa Reservoir, CO

Discussion in 'Central States - Freshwater Reports' started by BlackLion, July 14, 2006.

1. BlackLion

BlackLion Well-Known Member

Date: Saturday, July 1, 2006

, CO
    Catch: 4 kokanee salmon

Comments: I recently went on vacation to Colorado and New Mexico with my wife and nephew. Had a chance to get out on Blue Mesa Reservoir in my uncle’s pontoon boat and try for some kokanee salmon with my uncle and my nephew. This was also my nephew’s first time ever fishing for kokanee and, as usually the case, he has the hot stick this day. It was one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen. Neither my uncle nor I could manage even a hint of a bite yet my nephew would get hammered about every 15 minutes or so (this is all slow trolling). It got so stupid with this that I threatened to throw him over board (HA!). Trouble was, he was having a heck of a time getting them into the boat as these fish were pretty soft mouthed and he lost 7 of the 9 he hooked up with right at the boat! I finally found the exact lure he was using and rigged it exactly as his was rigged and, you guessed it, got a hook-up! Got mine into the boat though and he certainly heard about it from me too (ha, ha). I got (2) more to hook-up soon after, landed one and lost one. Yes, he gave it right back to me then (ha). Total for the day was 4 (two each), but my nephew had the better time at least pulling on more fish than I did. He was also pretty excited catching his first kokanee. If you ever get a chance to fish Blue Mesa Reservoir I highly recommend it as it is an awesome lake.

Here’s a picture of the boat,
    [​IMG]

My nephew getting bent,
    [​IMG]

Trolling the rod,
    [​IMG]

My nephew and his first kokanee,
    [​IMG]

BlackLion

#1 BlackLion, July 14, 2006
    Last edited: July 14, 2006
  2. cappo5150

cappo5150 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a blast. What type of lure were they hitting?

3. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

Nice change from the salty stuff huh marvin?
    Hope you enjoyed your vacation...thanks
    Creekster:cool2:

4. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

Did you try the Gulp? Or Big Hammers?

5. BlackLion

Cappo5150,

It was a type of spinner with a gold and silver blade followed by 3-4 red beads, a gold ring, another red bead and then the hook. The lure was called Kokanee Killer interestingly enough (and it was). The other thing was you had to tip the hook with corn (canned whole kernal). If you didn't, they wouldn't touch it. It was all very different for me to say the least and was very interesting as well as fun.

Speaking of the corn. Before we left the dock, my uncle sends my nephew up to the bait shop for some meal worms. Well while he is in there at the counter the lady says "Do you want to buy some corn too?" and my nephew replies "No thanks, I've already had breakfast". She then says "No, you don't understand, it really does work!" and he just walks out scratching his head. When he told my uncle this we started busting up laughing. Hey, we're from California, how are we supposed to know?! LMAO

6. BlackLion

Matt,

No, didn't have any. Just decided to go with what the locals (my uncle) would recommend. It would have been fun to try them though.

7. ODH33

Nice report Marivn. great to see your nephew hooked up on fish

8. CaptainSid

CaptainSid Well-Known Member

Great report Marvin. Glad you got in some fresh water fishing.

9. Cindy

Cindy New Member

Does anyone have any good fishing reports for Central and Southern Colorado, went do Eleven Mile Res. on Sun. Kokanee Killers weren't working,
    but then neither was any thing else. Didn't take any canned corn!!

10. Jackpot

Jackpot Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great report Marvin... glad you paid attention to your nephew's choice of lure!!!

JJ

11. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Thanx for sharing your report!!!

12. Joey805

Administrator

Great report Marvin. Surprised to see you on the fresh water. ;)

13. Carnivore

WOW your all the over there??? there is no salt water fishing in CO????hehehe glad you got out Marvin and thanks for the report.

14. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

Colorado is a great place to unwind from the California rat race. Glad to hear that you had a good tome, Marvin.
    Welcome, Cindy. I think you are the Colorado rep for Get Bent. Introduce yourself with a new thread in the introductions forum.

15. Jackpot

Jackpot Well-Known Member

DOOFY DELAY!!!!

All of ya'!

16. sourcreamnjive

Come on JJ we just like to post!

17. Wavehopper

Wavehopper Well-Known Member

Yeah Joes right....See Joe..I just canceled out your Post:D

18. sourcreamnjive

Hey let's all go fishing here!

19. bluemesaboater

bluemesaboater New Member

Ya, Blue Mesa is really fun to fish! I have my own boat up there and while hooking lots of salmon is fun, the best part is going after its 20-30 lb lakers! And if you go again, put a snubber on your line to prevent more salmon from getting off...because they have such soft mouths, the snubber acts somewhat like a rubberband and allows for them to stay hooked without tearing off their jaw! Does anyone else on here fish Blue Mesa much?

20. arcturner

arcturner New Member

Dan: I haven't been yet but plan to meet a friend after ice off for some trawling. I currently live in GJ and have been in CO since 1983 and have fished many backcountry streams and small lakes across CO but have yet to put in at Blue Mesa. I'm hoping to get into some lake trout and a hopefully a salmon or two but have never fished for either; sad to say but I don't even know how to rig a downrigger! I know, noobie, but you have to start somewhere. Any specific lure/downrigger advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike