BONITO at Goleta Pier

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Pier, Jetty & Harbor Report' started by GoletaLocal, Aug 7, 2015.

1. GoletaLocal

GoletaLocal Member

I wen't for some Rockfish off the pipeline yesterday afternoon, bite was non existent. But man were the Bonito running. I was surprised to see them being brought up this far north. When I was walking onto the pier I saw these guys with big metal jigs, and thought to myself "what the hell are you gonna do with that out here? go for halibut? thats a long shot." Then i figured out what was going on...People were pulling up 1-5 lb bonito multiple at a time on sabiki rigs as well as catching them on the iron. I caught one unintentionally reeling in my gulp shrimp from the pipe, was about 5 lbs. I was getting hit reeling in also, my bait flying out of the water, these things were going nuts. I also was reeling in a sand dab imitation i was throwing for lingcod and was getting hit on the surface with that as well. One angler hooked a big one I'm guessing 10+ lbs. He had it sitting on the railing and If i wasn't quick to run over there his rod almost went flying. He fought it for about 15 minutes trying to run it all around the pier but got cut off on another angler who couldn't moves line. Get your kids up here!!! Laughing

2. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

Crazy that they made it all the way up to Goleta. It keeps getting better and better.

3. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Would love to see it like the old days. July to December would be full on bonito 10 to 15 lbs up gaviota way. Just look for the boils and head that way. Great canned or smoked or fresh! Fun Fun fun! Thanks for the report.