Cabezon carnage, and a few lings too!

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater In-Shore Reports' started by jmoore, May 9, 2013.

1. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Well as soon as we left town last week for a week long camping trip to the Kern river the sea bass went off at the Islands and the Morro/PSL guys started nailing the salmon, so I had to satisfy my hunger for pulling on fish with some rainbow planters until I got back. As you can see planting trout is not a sophisticated procedure.

But lets get to the meat of the post. Got home on Sat. with hopes of a good weather forecast for Mon. but was the weather man had different plans. Heavy south winds and light rain>:sad: But the forecast looked better for mid week so I planned to go on Wen. for salmon out of PSL on my small boat. My buddy that was gong to go with me had to cancel so I called another friend but he said he was already on another boat for Wen. but said he would ask if his friend Paul minded another on the boat, to which Paul graciously agreed to. Thanks Paul:)

We hit the port at 0600 with the water still a little low to launch Paul's boat but there were boats in line ahead of us and by 0645 we were in the water. Paul was planing on rockfishing since he had not heard any reports of fish after the last wind so we were headed south to Pt. Sal. Turned out to be a really good choice! The trip down was smooth and glassy. Lots of bait in the water and birds. I was thinking maybe we should try for salmon but I was a guest and grateful for the trip so I put thoughts of salmon on the back burner.

Hit our first numbers and the fish finder was lit up with fish but fishing was much slower than last week when Paul went out on the rock fish opener. I did manage to put four legal lings on the boats while the others were having a bit slower action. Not the best behavior for a guest LOL. We picked away at a few more on these numbers but things just weren't what we were hoping for.

Paul said someone needs to drive the boat and find some better fishing because he was stumped. The screen looked like we could scoop then up but fishing continued to be slow, so I took the helm and drove about a mile further south to some rocks right off the Pt. Our first drift produced two huge cabs and assorted rock fish. We made several more drifts on the spot and soon we had the boat loaded! The lings and cabezon nearly filled the 120 qt cooler by themselves. Don't know if it was a location thing or time of day but this was what we were hoping for:) We had five anglers on the boat and we ended with limits of ling cod, limits of cabezon and limits of rockfish. The cabezon were simply off the hook. Well actually they were on the hooks LOL. We released numerous ling cod also. The rockfish were Ok but not any real size but who cares when you are pulling on lings and cabs in shallow water. All fish were caught in 40-70 ft of water most on jigs. Fantastic day thanks for the trip Paul. We did have to pay the price coming home uphill in the wind, but thank god for the pilot house on the boat. I am sure we got back much dryer than the guys in a center console that were headed back at the same time.

No its time to start thinking about those salmon. All the way back from the Pt. 17 mi. we metered bait balls. Marty at the dock said no one reported a salmon, not even the commercials. Maybe the salmon are just too full.

Attached Files:

2. sfrjohn

sfrjohn Well-Known Member

Nice job on the cabbies, heading up there this week end. Hope the weather is as nice as it was for you guys.

3. dudewarner

dudewarner Well-Known Member

Nice score-- Great pair of Cabzzzz

4. Torrn

Torrn Well-Known Member

Awesome! Making the most out of some vacation time. Those Cabs are Fat.

Pic of the lings/cabs hanging out of the cooler is too funny.

Now its time for those Salmon ;)

#4 Torrn, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  5. Joey805

Administrator

Those cabbies are huge!

I love it! Nice job!

6. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Well-Known Member

dang! jumbo cabbies

7. Michael J

Michael J Well-Known Member

Excellent work! Cooler full of fish. Those Cabbies look way fat. Damn fine lookin vessel as well....looks like a great day of catchin.

MJ.

8. hiplanesdrifter

hiplanesdrifter Well-Known Member

Great cabbies, wow. I know people that would freak for those fish. Good eats there.

9. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Nice Report Mike

10. HOOCHIE-P

HOOCHIE-P Well-Known Member

Nice John! See any Salmon back at the dock??

11. catchofthemonth

those are some fat cabs! If only we could launch from lompoc!

12. thatsharkguy

thatsharkguy Well-Known Member

I love it when the cooler lid wont close.... Taco meat for weeks, good job.

13. spartan44

spartan44 Well-Known Member

Very nice report indeed :)

14. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Well-Known Member

Awesome!!! Great pics!