Calico rod?

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by dinventura, April 20, 2014.

1. dinventura

dinventura Well-Known Member

Looking for another calico rod, about 8'-8'6", medium. Have been using Teramar MH and H - looking to go a little lighter)...going to look at the new Abu Garcia Volatile and Okuma Cedros Inshore rods. Anybody have any experience with the Abu or Okuma compared to the Teramar? Price is important for me, so can't go to the real high end stuff. Rod will be paired with Revo Inshore reel.
    Appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks

2. Joey805

Administrator

My favorite rod for calicos is a Calstar 800XL

3. DickCrowe

DickCrowe Active Member

Calstar 270

I use a custom 8-foot Calstar 270 with a Newell S338-5 reel that has been reduced in size and weight with a Tiburon kit. This is a great all around rod/reel for Calicos. However, I also use a 8-foot Lamiglas with small Aftco guides paired with a Shimano 400 Calcutta for tossing light anchovies...

I have caught bull Calicos, white sea bass and assorted yellowtail with both of these rods.

Each rod cost me about $100 (Lamiglas new from Turner's and Calstar used from eBay). I think that I have about $150 invested in each reel. So the rod/reel packages cost me about $250 each...

The only problem is when I want to fly down into Baja. The 8' rods are too long for flying...

#3 DickCrowe, April 22, 2014
    Last edited: September 20, 2014
  4. DickCrowe

DickCrowe Active Member

I just purchased a used Calstar 800XL that has been reduced in length to 7.5 feet. The rod has a Fuji trigger seat and has Aftco Mini Roller Guides and Tip. I didn't absolutely need this rod but got it in a package with an original U.S. made(not a Chinese import) California Sabre Stroker, 7' 870 rod rewrapped with ceramic guides which I did want as a 40# bait stick.
    The cut down 800XL seems to have a bit more backbone than my 8' Lamiglass and I would guess that it is a very viable 25# class rod which can still cast an anchovy a country mile either using my Calcutta 400 or an AVET SX. It seems like it will be a great rod for medium size yellowtail and various other fish of tha size...
    I got both of these rods in very good shape for less than a hundred bucks.

#4 DickCrowe, July 13, 2014
    Last edited: July 13, 2014