Calstar 330-B

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by CooldadE, Aug 6, 2014.

1. CooldadE

CooldadE Member

Has any one fished/ built a rod made with this blank / I bought one at a great price. Specs are 7' , 20 to 30#, Moderate action , 12 tip and .80 butt. It also lists recommended 40 to 60 Lb... the duel rating has me confused. The blank is a bit parabolic, which I like. I've got a Lamiglas rod I built 25 plus years ago that has a parabolic action and it is one of my favorites. Any info would be great...
    Cool

2. CooldadE

CooldadE Member

I called Calstar and talked to Dave. Very knowledgeable , got the 411 on the history , line rating and use of blank...

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Cooldade what did dave tell you about the blank?

4. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

don't leave us hanging we want to know the 411 too!

5. CooldadE

CooldadE Member

Sorry,,, Yea Dave at Calstar said the T330 is now a less popular blank these days(most go for the fast taper blanks). Used to be popular with the bottom fish / party boat guys (rental rods) . Capitan's liked the Fiberglass, #12 tip and durability of the blank. Its got a narrow line rating (20 to 30#) so unlike some blanks with a wider spaced rating you can easily fish rite up to 30#with no prob. Again the action is moderate which seems to have gone to the wayside. I like that type of action and have whooped a couple of 100# plus sturgeon with an old Moderate/ Slow action Lamiglas blank I wrapped 25 plus years ago. On a related side note, I bought a blank years ago from a store going out of business. I built up the handle to the point of needing to wrap it and put it to the side. I forgot the model# and line rating . I measured the tip and butt but couldn't pin down the model. Upon talking to Dave and giving him my blanks specs. I found out the published specs were different that his shop specs for the butt section. What I have is a T500 7', #8 tip, .940 butt and rated for 15 to 30#...another less than popular moderate action blank. He said I could run 30# no prob on that blank also. Well I'm going to build/ wrap them up and will post pics when done...
    Cool

6. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

7. Tazman

Tazman New Member

ED,
    That T500 is a great blank for Salmon trolling, 2.5 - 3 Lb Balls!

it has just about the right type of action to not rip the hook out of the fish's mouth after the ball drops. Could be a little softer but only the old Lamiglass & Saber's are perfect. It onlyndid not catch on because they are too thick on the Bottom end and you have to run such big reel seats + they weight a ton compared to the new stuff. But for pulling balls you can't beat Glass blanks.

-Art
    Tight Lines!

8. CooldadE

CooldadE Member

I went on a Bodega Bay Rockfish /salmon trip this year. Tough fishing ! It seems like the Capitan set up the the troll where the back of the boat trolled at the depth the fish graphed at and further toward the bow where I was got no action. I'm unsure if that's common as it was my first Salmon trolling trip. I wasn't thrilled..
    COOL

9. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Pretty normal Cool,

They try to keep the guys up front from getting to deep so they don't get tangled with the people behind them. The fish can see a long way up and will come up after the bait. Have seen plenty of trips when the Bow was the place to be, others when No Boweno! that is why we call it fishing instead of catching LOL
    Was in Blowdega last Sat. Wind was 20Kts+ no Salmon for us though we did get a 40Lb Thresher Shark.

-Art
    Tight Lines!

10. CooldadE

CooldadE Member

Wow! Had to be rough. What boat were you on? Last time I was out on the New Sea Angler it wasn't blowing hard but the oacean had a weird chop to it and I got sick. I blew 4 times on the way to the next drift. Once there I got to my spot and fished out the day. Eating crackers and water...Yum! Got my Rockfish limit + , and a Lingcod.