Carpfisher Cachuma/Stearns Wharf report

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Carpfisher, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Still itchin to kill a carp, I rigged up a bow rig on the kayak and headed up to Cachuma on Sat., totally socked in with fog in the Valley killed the visibility and the wind picked up chopping the water pretty good when the sun did come out so I didn't even get to take a shot. Did boat 2 legals and a midget. and 15+bluegill-little guys but fun. Are the bass in the pics the same kind? Did I finally catch a smallmouth?
    Little guy hit my rapala in shallow, other 2 -20' dropshoted nightcrawler.

Snuck up real close on a heron. Then just chillin, when a helicopter swoops down and starts doing rescue swimmer operations. Campgrounds looked full.Heard him say all boats for rent were out.
    Not white sea bass, but lots of fun...
    Someday gonna get my carp......

......then Sunday, I took the boys to 6AM IHOP,stuffed em with cakes and took them to Stearns Wharf. I didn't expect much and was not disappionted. We jigged sabikis,
    soaked hoop net, fly lined live mackeral, soaked bait-only the net and the sabiki
    produced anything,around 10 large size mackeral including this one that had 4 on it.
    As you can see, the kids had a blast
    No lizard fish for us but the guys on the end were getting there share. Funny thing though-they were keeping them!!!Then they got really close to us and the tourist traffic really picked up around 10 AM so we packed it up.
    Frank at the bait shop said business has been good but not anything special to talk about lately....

Attached Files:

2. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

yup that is a smallie,great read this morning,loved the pic's.glad you and the boys got out and had fun....

3. Joey805

Administrator

Gotta love that wind at cachuma. Seems like every time I'm there, I get blown off the lake. I was up there yesterday for a few and the breeze was already starting to come alive a bit by 10am.

4. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Nice that u and the boyz had fun, thanx for sharing!!!

5. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Andy, so the last pic-fish has a couple "stripes" near his eyes and no black stripe down the side, is a smallie ? If so cool, that one measured 14". Do they taste better than large mouth, for future reference.

6. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

yes that was a smallie,as for the taste I don't know I release all mine.I've heard from a great source that they taste GREAT!!!!!