Carpinteria / Santa Barbara Surf Fishing ... What do I do???

Discussion in 'West Coast' started by nukefish, Dec 13, 2007.

1. SandREEL

SandREEL New Member

Santa Claus Lane

I have fished several times off the shore in Carp. I usually enter the beach from Santa Claus Lane. I will actually be there Friday afternoon. Lately we have been catching Guitar fish and Lepoard sharks there. I throw a 12 foot pole with 20 lb test. I prefer 3 oz pyramid sinkers on the end of my line with 2 hooks between a foot and 2 feet apart. For bait Ive done best with dead squid or anchovie.

2. Surf Freak

Surf Freak Active Member

I fished Santa Claus last weekend and had a few bites but the water is thick with salad. In fact, I fished from Santa Claus to El Capitan but it was difficult with all the seaweed floating in the surf. Each cast caught large clumps of seaweed within seconds. Hope you have better luck than I did.

3. AQUATONIC

AQUATONIC Well-Known Member

I was about to give up the simplicity and ease of my local surf fish'in area,(20 minutes door to shore). I fish Malibu area,with traditional mono line and always had to re-rig with kelp/rock break offs. Since I got the tip from my local(inland) tackle shop owner I have used a kelp cutter(braided-line) set up on a med-big size spinning reel. He suggested that gulp nucular (neon red & green new penny-?) shrimp shaped gulp pinned on your baitholder hook is the bomb. I use a flat sinker-this allows me to "surf" the rig to the surface once I commit to brining in or re-adjusting my rig, ya must use the advantage of the length of that long rod to gain height/angle on the business end both on retrive & on soak -fish'in that bait. The action is probable a swimming-darting action with the water surge I have fished areas of cobble rock-lite-med kelppy areas and have caught butter mouth perch-calico & grass bass on this & with the large sand worms-I bet other gulp baits would work also. I use the longist sand spike avab,in rocky areas wedge rocks to pin spike. The second major advantage of gulp is its tough & stays on the hook on that long cast & even after draging it thru the kelp. I am able to retrieve my rig 95-98% of the time-but be careful not to wrap up those fingers(usually wrap braded line around arm with sweat-flannal shirt on) on the occational times when ya get hung up! I have used 2-rigs @ once and it keeps ya busy. Also ya can/should let the spike fish the long rod & cast a swim bait as ya wade walk around your chosen area...Tight-lines-Todd

4. TheChickenOfTheSea

TheChickenOfTheSea Well-Known Member

Thread revival, good job guys.

5. Torrn

Torrn Well-Known Member

I've never done much shore fishing, but I sure appreciate reading and learning the tecniques you guys are using. Thanks.

6. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

I just got back from Carp surf fishing, kelp is WAY BETTER today. Yes it was UNFishable last Thurs. 85 % better today. Caught 2 small Shovelnoses and a jacksmelt. I was gonna rehook him for a bigger catch but he was bleeding from the gills and died almost immediatly. So he's in the freezer for hoop net bait.

7. Sandman Surf Fisher

Sandman Surf Fisher New Member

I have my favorite spot where the beach is crowded but no one fishes people are amazed by the 150 200 pound bat rays we hook and leopard shark are always cruising by as well as monster shovel nose shark!!!
    I'm a shark man

8. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

I've had really good luck on all those beaches with motoroil green red flake grubs using the carolina rig up.....that color is pretty productive in lots of areas....have fun and take pictures!

9. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

You all do realize that this thread is over 3 years old, right?

10. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

This is the reason why this thread is so popular :D

Google

11. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Well the last post is only 5 months old though :D

12. nukefish

nukefish Member

Who knew?

Who knew it would gain such popularity? I guess I came up with a good title! I haven't been out in quite some time now. Moved to Ventura. Looking forward to Rock season opening up.

13. Trusavage

Trusavage New Member

Love fishing Carp. Great shore fishing. I rarely take fish home while shore fishing so I would have alot of fun targeting Leopard shark's there. I would fish shallows after a wave breaks for surf perch using a trout rod with 4lb line and drop shot rigged 3" gulp sandworm. "camo color". Just catching perch was a blast. I've had the most success with Leopards using a whole surf perch fillet with the tail attached. On a dropper loop rig with a 4oz pyramid lead. This type of fishing is as basic and simple as fishing from the shore gets. Get your bait out past the breakers ,put your rod in a holder and have fun catching surf perch in the meantime. You don't have to be a great angler to have a great time this way. I highley suggest using braid. Not effected as much by waves and debris. Screenshot_20161223-223202.png