Ch Islands Harbor - Halibut w/Pics!

Discussion in 'Kayak Central' started by YakSailor, May 16, 2005.

1. YakSailor

YakSailor Well-Known Member

Where: At the harbor mouth, breakwater and Hollywood Beach

When: Sunday May 15, 2005; 10am to 11:30am

Water Conditions: Low tide, partially clear (visibility 3 feet), 57°F at Hollywood Beach, 62°F in the harbor

Air Conditions: Partly cloudy, wind out of the West at about 12 mph, about 72°F

Craft: Hobie Mirage Tandem, modified. Bait tank. Ballast: 80 lb kid in front seat :)

Setup: Motor oil perch grubs for smelt, live sardine on 1-once slider rig for 'but. Line: Frayed Yo-juri 12-lb test.

Catch: 17" smelt, 24" halibut

I was going to go to Ventura Marina yesterday, but after seeing the red tide in Carpinteria on Saturday, decided to try CI harbor. I figured that the Marina probably had the red tide, and it's tough to fish sometimes. I almost left the bait tank at home because it was broken, but decided at the last minute to fix it, since my son was coming along. It set me back an hour, but it was worth it.

We only had a short time, so we launched out of the harbor, made a loop over to the beach, out to the breakwater and back. Since we only caught the smelt, we decided to call it, and started to put our gear away. Just as I was making the final reel-in, WHAMO! My rodtip bent waydown; it wastoobig to be a smelt and shaking too much to be aray. I had my dragsetway too tight, and in my mind's eye I recall seeing the frayed line near the slider when I rigged it up-telling myself that I've got to respool this sometime! I overreacted and loosened the drag... the line spun out too quickly and created a rats nest on the spool (@#%&!!). For what seemed like an eternity, I untangled the line while my son grabbed the net. When I finally got a tight line, the fish, luckily was on the end of it. It took about 5 minutes to get the 'but in the net. Each time I got him to the surface, he'd see the net and dive down. It's a cool feeling to see the outline of your catch form as you bring it up. You never know what you're going tocatch in the ocean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

ROCK ON!...GOOD TO SEE YOU MANAGED A NICE FROM THE AREA, EVEN THOUGH THE WATER WAS A BIT CHILLY...THANKS FOR THE REPORT...AND EXCELLENT PICS!!!!</font>

3. ODH33

WAY TO GO. NICE CATCH OUT THERE. HOPE YOU GET A CHANCE TO DO IT AGAIN REAL SOON

4. Carnivore

Man I have to get out and get a flattie. I haven't had any since 2003. Good job guys and looks like you had fun.

5. BlackLion

BlackLion Well-Known Member

YakSailor,

Way to go man!! Now that is what we're talking about! Very nice halibut from the kayak and I tip my hat to you for managing to land it despite all you had to deal with. Thanksfor the report and pictures.

BlackLion

6. Flipper

Skunkmaster said that he saw you guys trolling around in the kay... he was with Bearfish and Anotherbite fishing the beach there. They didn't catch anything... but you sure did! Awesome job guys!!

Great pictures too!:D