Coast Guard Officer Killed at Santa Cruz Island

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by MDS, December 2, 2012.

1. MDS

MDS Well-Known Member

Report came over dept radio this AM. Coast Guard member killed. Something about boarding a Ponga that went wrong. God Bless our people in uniform.

2. Joey805

Administrator

3. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

4. sfrjohn

sfrjohn Well-Known Member

Prayers go out to his family and crew members for their loss. May he rest in peace.

5. terrace

terrace Active Member

coasties should have fired on the panga

6. Torrn

Torrn Well-Known Member

RIP. Men and Women in uniform protecting our Homeland...attacked by Mexican drug smugglers. Killing a 34 year old. That's really bad. This incident is going to change the WHOLE game for the pangas now. They just F'd up BIG time! Prior procedure was sending out a small boat...that doesn't work anymore. What's the next step? 50. Caliber rounds fired across the bow is my guess...and then they sink it if not in compliance. I'm cool with that. They drew first blood...

I mentioned in an earlier post that it's LEGAL to carry a concealed weapon if you have a fishing license and are actively fishing in California. I've slept behind Santa Cruz on my boat, and plan on doing it again, but next time I'll be armed.

#6 Torrn, December 2, 2012
    Last edited: December 2, 2012
  7. Carnivore

Thought's go out to the family for the Lost guardsmen. It is a sad day when this happens but opening fire isn't the solution as much as it may sound great. First make sure there are no innocents on the boat THEN open fire. What bothers me is the cost guard all ready has carte blanche to violate 4th amendment rights this isn't going to make them anymore nice to anyone out there they "suspect" of suspicious activity. I just hope they don't go all nutty and start making life miserable for people involved in legal activities.

8. Surfdog

Surfdog Well-Known Member

Panga question

I see the panga boats have outboard engines on them. Do they have built in fuel tanks or portable plactic tanks. To run up from the border to Santa Cruz Island would take quite a bit of fuel for two big outboards. Do they have off off shore vessels supplying fuel. Do they make turn arounds or just ditch the boat after a drop.

9. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Thats crazy...........Rest in Peace and prayers to our men protecting our shores and borders.

10. Carnivore

If I had to guess I would say they are flying bundles of drugs up and dropping them so the pangas can pick them up. With a few men they can launch the boats from a beach some where and then retrieve the same way. They were doing this some time ago down south but again if I had to guess they are moving up the coast to make it harder to detect.

One other thing I just thought of they may be growing on the island too. Cruz does have fresh water on the island so that might be a what is going on too. Definitely keeping the M1A loaded when out there now, no question. See how long a panga floats with 30 rounds of .308 threw it.:D

11. Surfdog

Surfdog Well-Known Member

panga run

Yep, that's it carni. Just knowing that is going on in those wonderful fishing grounds is a little scary. Coast Guard will be watching everybody now. Got to tell the girl friend to keep the bra on now.

Attached Files:

12. wils

wils Well-Known Member

fuel: written and linked news reports over the past few years usually include 4-6 55 gallon drums of fuel or bladders of fuel on board.

air drops: dropping off bales of drugs offshore - if you fully think through the logistics - wont work successfully enough to be justified...if at all.

4-stroke powered pangas are getting ~3-4mpg? how many miles is it from beaches just south of the border to the CI/malibu/SB areas?

13. xbacksideslider

xbacksideslider Well-Known Member

They might be based/gassed out of the islands. They don't care, so what? - their presence there is illegal; they're illegal in every other way anyway. Probably poaching Garibaldi and island animals too. Same as the poachers that work the inland pot plantations in the national forests. Everybody else follows the law, as far as the crimnals are concerned that's great, makes it easier for them to live there.

If it was a ramming, then they ought to hang.

That said, the drug laws are dysfunctional and are the ultimate cause of this tragedy. If the pongas are supplied from/based out of the islands, then the authorities likely know about it and aren't protecting the resource.

#13 xbacksideslider, December 3, 2012
    Last edited: December 3, 2012
  14. Michael J

Michael J Well-Known Member

John.
    I agree with a lot of the things you post up. I guess I'm looking for a better understanding about this post?

I guess I missed the point?

Cheers.
    MJ.

15. xbacksideslider

MJ -

I edited while you were posting since my first post, even to me, was gibberish.

Just saying that the logistics are such that the bad guys are probably using the islands as bases and that they guys are already breaking laws so what do they care if they break another law, especially those "lesser" laws that protect fish and game or say "you can't camp here."

16. Michael J

Ok.Gotcha.

I totally agree.It's time for this State,and the Feds to wise up,and come out of the stone age....no pun intended there.

Geeze...what a horriable thought if the Feds KNEW whats been going on ,and havent done anything about it.....kinda makes ya wonder.

Thanks for the edit,and clarification.
    MJ.

17. Michael J

Agreed again!
    MJ.

18. xbacksideslider

Now there will be a higher profile so, if they knew about it, then now the authorities can't pretend otherwise. Or, if they knew about it, maybe they had good reason to watch and wait to gather more information, catch the supply boats, trace them. Catch the onshore dealers . . . . Sort of like the gun walking in the "Fast & Furious" scandal.

19. Michael J

I'm all for gettin a little more intel. But God.....look at the cost of it now.

This ponga boat running has been goin crazy now for the last year at least. Time for the Feds to step up the enforcement in this area like they do in Fla.

I hear ya Carni. No one likes to get boarded.....it cuts into your fishing time, and actually there was one time when we were boarded in the afternoon and got held up that it put us in a situation where the wind came up suddenly ,but the captain was smart enough to turn us back around and tuck in for the night.

Even though that sucked.....I'm glad the Coasties are out there.
    MJ.

20. Torrn

Torrn Well-Known Member

I think they're filling their boats with fuel and drugs in Mexico and using a handheld GPS to navigate out around the islands. Not really that difficult if the weather holds up.

There's an empty Panga near the pier at Gaviota. Abandoned awhile ago. I say we salvage it...tow it behind the islands...put the 2 Dbags that broke into Randys boat in it and call the Coast Guard. Say they fired on us...then watch the show :popcorn: