Cost of fishing in a MLPA

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater In-Shore Reports' started by ploverkilla, Nov 30, 2012.

1. ploverkilla

ploverkilla New Member

Alright boys Im posting this as to inform you all of the fines for fishing in a MLPA. I got popped by an under cover warden on a kayak just 200 ft inside the line of a MLPA near SB. Warden said he was giving me a warning since the MLPA was new and the whole fleet was in the MLPA that day. He then took photos of all of my info and GPS position on my plotter. I asked why and he said he was going to forward the info to the D.A. Huh? I said, is the D.A. going to pursue this and he replied that he didn't want to speak for the D.A. office but that he didn't think so. Well the D.A. ate it up and 2.5 months later I got a letter to appear in criminal court. The fine 500.00 and the charge a misdemeanor I took it and plead no contest. Could have been worse I guess but I will always double check my location from now on. I wish fish and game would have been up front and given me a ticket if they were just going to sick the DA on me. If DFG acts like the bro then watch out for the bro job. They get the DA to finish you off. I know a couple other guys busted the same day and commercial or sport it was a 500.00 fine across the board. All I can say is watch the invisible line or else theyll get you. This post is just to let everyone know what an MLPA violation entails since there is alot of misinformation out there. I hope this clarifys some facts for you all.
    On the light side I got to see a crack head get arrested for stealing someone elses cell phone in the court room. Pretty entertaining!!!

2. SURCHIN

SURCHIN Active Member

Ouch. Thanks for info. Interesting twist. Did u ask for reduced fine or was that a mandatory minimum? U c on a kayak eh? Couple hundred feet of an invisible line dang, got me wondering if its the boat owner that would get the ticket or whose got lines out when they roll up. Multiple tix per boat?

Nice login name, frickin birds
    Scott

3. Michael J

Michael J Well-Known Member

Yeah that does suck that he put the DA on you like that....pretty chicken

I've set up my GPS with a "Route" with all the closure numbers on it for each closeure area. I can punch in my routes,and it will want to know which one.I punch in Naples as an example ,and it shows me the route lines so that way I stay out. Ya just gotta be careful that you put in the right numbers of the closures in your routes.

Seems to work pretty well,but I havent been stopped yet. I know lots of folks were very close when the C-bass went off this summer.
    MJ.

4. WanderingBlues

WanderingBlues Well-Known Member

It seems to be a young officer thing- to want to shirk the uncomfortable responsibility of citing good folks by not telling you what's up and deferring to a DA office. One thing, though. That the DA had to file means it's a misdemeanor. Nolo Contendre means you'll have a misdemeanor arrest and conviction on file. Maybe not a big deal, but worth fighting if it was an honest miscalculation.

5. wils

wils Well-Known Member

sounds like you and the DFG guy did the right thing. DFG guy didnt want to cite you but had to file his report or lose his job.
    you knew you were wrong and paid the fine. if you would have fought it, start adding in time off work and court fees for the same "guilty" outcome.

My guess is that the $500 fine will rise as time goes along.

My old GPS chart plotter came with all the pre-MPA closures already programmed in. Do the new GPS plotters have the new MPA closures pre-programmed?

6. hiplanesdrifter

hiplanesdrifter Well-Known Member

:beerbang:Crack head was hilarious.
    C ya out there(out of the closure that is!)

7. HillTop

HillTop Well-Known Member

oooh that line up there was a bit shady this summer, that's for sure...........sucks bro. i knew there were u.c. dfg rolling around..........it was too much of a circus after the first week of solitude and peace...........live and learn.

remember we left heroes! what's that worth?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    #7 HillTop, Nov 30, 2012
  8. hoober

hoober Well-Known Member

I understand there is a "bench warrant" out for me..... what, you could'nt just pay my fine for me?Nice to know who your friends are. :)

9. dudewarner

dudewarner Well-Known Member

10. Torrn

Torrn Well-Known Member

That really stinks. A Kayak can easily drift 200' while paying attention to other things and a boat can also drift a good deal when the current changes and the proper amount of line is out. Isn't the depth to anchor line deal something like 1 to 7? Every 1' of depth you're supposed to let out 7' of anchor line. Guessing you're anchored between 60-90'...it's not hard to imagine drifting. Also, if it's a strong low tide you're adding more distance.
    I know we're all supposed to be responsible on the water...but there's a lot to pay attention to, and drifting 1-200' can happen so EASY!
    Bummer my friends. Christmas will be short $500 for your families this year...that's messed up. That's really messed up

I understand the DA has a job to do...I can only wish they would do it properly.

#10 Torrn, Nov 30, 2012
  11. SeaHawk IV

SeaHawk IV Active Member

Ridiculous...having fun is just not the same like it was prior to MLPA closures. Too many red tape here in California.

12. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

May be the same guy I've seen at Cachuma on a yak before. Looks undercover with street clothes, no uniform, regular build, not tall.
    Did you have any caught fish on board that he saw and could have deduced had come from the MLPA?
    A warning should be just that, a warning.

13. hoober

hoober Well-Known Member

Coming in to San Deigo from a off shore trip I saw big red bouys floating in a line. Asked the deckhand what they marked? DUUUHHH....the closure line you dummy.It could be as simple as that!!! But NOOOO!!!!

14. ploverkilla

ploverkilla New Member

Buoys would make way to much sense come on now! You should take that warrant seriously Hoober this is DFG your messing with!!! I would have payed the fine for you but Will talked me out of it.
    Carpfisher I had no fish on the boat but I know some guys did and had them taken and some guys got to keep their fish? I also heard DFG sold the fish they took to the SB fish market. Not sure how that works?

15. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Time for me to get roasted but you should have fought it. At least get the charge lowered. A misdemeanor on your record is no small thing if you should ever want to get a security clearance or anything they check your back ground for. These things can come back to haunt you for just frickin fishing. Sorry things went that way for ya just remember that Law enforcement is NEVER on your side. They are always looking out for there own butts. Completely a personal call but I would have told him to pound sand on the photo and cleared out the GPS along with making him give a ticket. Much harder to prove where you are at when there is no proof.

16. MDS

MDS Well-Known Member

Know your Rights! but know the fricken boundaries, too.

17. xbacksideslider

xbacksideslider Well-Known Member

The "science" behind the closures is questionable. For example, that closure under the windows/view of UC Santa Barbara.

18. Michael J

Michael J Well-Known Member

There is a ton of stuff thats "questionable" about the MLPA.:mad:

Example: Where's the funding coming from to moniter the Clousures?

What ever happened to the monitering study that when the Island clousures went into effect way back when that they would be open to opening some of those areas back up"someday" if the areas showed improvment?

What about the proven conflict of interest when this so called "process" was being jammed down our throats with all the backdoor crap that they pulled?

It goes on and on.

Get used to it folks.We are looked at as killers. Not Stewards of the Resource.
    Thats because we are "comsumptives".

It wont be to much longer when they take it all and shut it down.....or at least try thier damnest.

Ok.sorry for the thread jack.
    RANT OFF!:embarassed:

MJ.

19. xbacksideslider

xbacksideslider Well-Known Member

Yes, instead of "questionable," I should have said "laughable" and even that would have been charitable.

20. keeponkeepnon

keeponkeepnon Well-Known Member

I would suggest fighting the misemeanor charge as well. It is so tempting to just roll over and plead no contest so you aren't stuck in court. Years ago when they really started enforcing the trail going down to Tarantulas at Jalama I got nailed for trespassing. When I went in to court there was like 20 guys there all for the same thing. pretty much everybody just plead guilty, paid like $800 and got a misdemeanor. I would have just paid it too, but for me a misdemeanor would make seious career problems so I decided to fight it even though I was guilty and even if I had to pay a lawyer big money. The first step was to have an informal trial...basically write a letter. I wrote a letter politely defending myself and telling them the steps I had taken to insure it would never happen again (bought a parking permit). They let me off completely free while all those other guys got screwed. I would try doing that with a MLPA charge - "I'm sorry, I accidentally drifted in, this charge will have a major impact on my life and I will have to fight it in court, I've put the route in my GPS so it can not happen again" but in a long well thought out form, stay calm and polite.
    Oh yea, and that DFG guy is a chicken sh!? mother #$%^er for not just saying he was citing you. I suppose it would be a little intimidating looking up at a boat full of pissed off guys with gaffs from your kayak, but still.
    Thanks for sharing the info by the way. Now that I know it is more than just a fine I will be even more careful.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    #20 keeponkeepnon, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012