crabs from yak

Discussion in 'The Yak Shack' started by kevinkannguyen, Jun 24, 2013.

1. kevinkannguyen

is it legal to drop a hoop net from a yak? has anyone done so in the ventura or channel islands area. i have my fishing license for the year but do i need any kind of report card or specific license.

2. Joey805

Administrator

You can hoop for crabs all year round and don't need a special permit, just your standard fishing license with the saltwater stamp. If you get any lobsters, those will need to be let go immidiatley. The season is closed until October and when fishing for those, you'll need lobster card which can be purchased with your license.

Both crab and lobsters require you to carry a measuring device (gauge) to insure they are of at least minimum length to keep.

Out in our area, you'll be pulling up rock crab and spider crab.

Not the best eating in my opinion, but some people like them.

3. kevinkannguyen

thanks joey do you know what the legal sizes would be for the two?

4. Carnivore

(b) All crabs of the [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]Cancer [/FONT][/FONT]genus except Dungeness crabs, but including: yellow crabs, rock crabs, red crabs and slender crabs:
    (1) Open season: All year.
    (2) Limit: Thirty-five.
    (3) Minimum size: Four inches measured by the shortest distance through the body, from edge of shell to edge of shell at the widest part, except there is no minimum size in Fish and Game Districts 8 and 9.
    (c) All crabs of the genus [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]Cancer[/FONT][/FONT], including Dungeness crabs, yellow crabs, rock crabs, red crabs and slender crabs, may be brought to the surface of the water for measuring, but no undersize crabs may be placed in any type of receiver, kept on the person or retained in any person’s possession or under his direct control; all crabs shall be measured immediately and any undersize crabs shall be released immediately into the water.

I couldn't find anything on spider crabs but don't have time to look though I don't think there is any regs on them....

Here are the ocean regs you should get to know them before fishing.... HERE

5. kevinkannguyen

Thanks drew, and those are great maps in your sig. i didnt know there was so much fish so close to the harbor.

6. Carnivore

LOL well, I have caught those fish in those areas over the years but not all at once. They are few and far between but there are some nice ones if you put in the time.