Custom Halibut rod blank

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by flukeman, Feb 27, 2004.

1. flukeman

flukeman Member

Hi all, I need opinions on a good Halibutblank(s) for fishing the Valdez arm,Alaska(Prince William sound)?Also components and reel for same.Should I use an acid wrap for this rig? thanks! AL

2. crawford23

crawford23 Well-Known Member

I know that Finadict, Batman, and Pescador will be able to help you on this. Oh and about the acid wrap, I bet batty and Pescador will recommend it. Don't listen to Batman though...he's in love with those acid wraps...j/k batty

3. Bearfish

Bearfish Well-Known Member

This is the truth....Batty and Pescador are addicted to acid wraps...but if the fish is big and all it may work for you...call scott at ARC and tell hime what your doin and Im 100% sure he will be able to help you out. He got me matched up to the best blank for my situation...bad back...and now Im sold on the AVET reels....Im a beginner to this big fish thing so I can only say what I have been told...so Give Scott a call...hes a truthful stand up dude.

4. Bearfish

Bearfish Well-Known Member

WOW I just noticed your in new york...It may be cheaper to talk to him through the forums....good luck to ya.

5. Carnivore

When I was in Kenai peninsula we were hitting 70 to hundred pounders on a 20-50 blank with a jiggmast 500 reel with 30 pound line. Now they get much bigger but that rod should handle it, the back up reel was a 9/0 Penn but I never needed it. After several big salmon 50 to 70 pound range we headed out for some barn doors. These big flatties don't really fight allot but they are heavy and a pain to pull up. If you get into the 150+ you will need a better drag and reel performance so depending on your budget you will have to get a reel in the 7 to 9/0 range but 9 should be the biggest you will ever need. Even if you hit the 300 mark they can be pulled up on 50-80 pound line with little problem or fighting. You can contact any number of travel company's online and ask them what they bring most of them supply tackle so ask what they use. They don't have to know you are not planning on using their service.

As for acid wrap there are several here that believe in it. It has never been more then a funny looking rod to me. I have used them and see no benefit to them but I don't see anything bad. If you know how to make one go for it but I think it is just a matter of preference more then anything. I know Shimano has said numerous times that they can't warranty them because of rod twist so they don't make them but how true that is who knows. They might not want to retool to make a few people happy. Good luck either way you are going to have a blast and see the most beautiful country in the world.

Welcome to the board too hehe you can tell fishing is more important then a simple HI!! hehehe.

6. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

only thing i can comment on, acid. i would suspect that you will be fishing about a 6-6.5' rod. i actually dont like acid wraps on a rod that short. no need IMO. you just add way too much weight because of how many guides you will need to put on it. as for rod twisting from an acid wrap... its BS as long as the guides are spiralled in the correct part of the blank, with the correct spiralling method. i prefer a 7' or longer, fast action rod when i spiral wrap a rod. you will, however experience rod twist on a straight wrapped rod. its just the physics of it all. here's an example:

[​IMG]

check out the fourth guide from the bottom of the pic. you can see that it is starting to twist, and the twist stays throughout the tip. but this is a 8 or 9 foot jigstick from what i remember.

7. Sinker

flukeman WELCOME.

First post and you already have me jealous [​IMG].

An ex UpState New Yorker here - Warren County - Lake George, NY.

Anyway I would not imagine you will be using over a 6'6" rod if going deep for Halibutand therefore as pEsCaDoR said no need for an acid wrap.

Although I have a few ideas I will let Finadict respond as he is an expert in this field as is pEsCaDoR where I am only a wanna be [​IMG].

Sure would like to hear what you end up with, some pics of when the rod is finished and definatley see the report and pics from your Alaska trip.

Again Welcome....

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the boards[​IMG]

I think now many halibut fisherman stoped using the heavy 9/0's and are using smaller reelslike the trinidadswith just spectra.

I don't know about fishing for large halibut but from what I have seen people are mostly using calstars. A 6465XH would make a good 50-80lb rodand if you needed to fish a higher lb test you could go with the 765H.

I don't think 6'6" is too short for an acid wrap. Some long range fisherman are starting to fish with 6' acid wrapped rods with acid roller guides and haven't had any problems with line touching the rod or any other problems. I don't think you need an acid wrap but you can do it if you wanted to.

I fyou told us what kind of guies you wanted adn what lb test you were going to fish with we could help you pick out some guides.

On a reel for higher lb tests I would use an aluminum reel seat. Pick an Aftco seat that fits your rod and matches your reel.

Good luck,

Batman

9. flukeman

flukeman Member

Thanks guys,but you missunderdtand,I already went on the trip last Aug. and caught many halibut 20-80lbs at Valdez arm. The rod will be a present for my friend who took me on the best fishing trip of my life.I was thinking of building a 80lb class rod(stand up 6.5') with a Penn 340 or 345GTI(I like Leverwinds)reel.On this I was thinking power-Pro 20dia=100lb test or 30dia=150lb test line. I have been told on other forums that Calstar or Seeker blanks are the best for this purpose. The trouble is in Alaska isyou get a lot of small fish under 15lbs to over 100lb trophys to 200 -300lb monsters and a chance for a record! It depends on where you fish? yes I do need advise on guides,do I go with all rollers or just stripper & tip roller with sic boat guides? an Aftco reel seat is a great idea,they are the best I am told. If any of you guys get a chance to go up there, it will be the best fishing you will ever get and the most beautiful country you will ever see! I should have gone years ago,when I was younger,don't make thesame misstake! plan a trip to Alaska soon! Thank you all for your input AL

10. bajadave

Welcome Fluk, As for roller guides I would say no. Roller guide are basically for fish that burn line out when they make a run. Like Carns said, halibut really don't fight until they hit the surface or they spot the boat but they only have short quick burst. I would recommend a stripper roller and a tip roller, don't waste your money on a full roller rod. Each roller can cost up tp 20-25 dollars each.