Dawn Patrol Hanapa Pluggin Action

Discussion in 'Hawaii USA' started by Kauai_Kanseah, September 4, 2011.

1. Kauai_Kanseah

Kauai_Kanseah Well-Known Member

Aloha everyone, once again headed out the door before sun rise, a lil Dawn Patrol Action...

This mornings event was to test out Two new Rods I have been workin on and started from the blank up to this finished product. I also decided to test out a few more plugs that I have been makin , the plug makin is an ongoing event with me.

Well I pleased to announce both Rods exceeded expectations, as all of the Plugs. I included a few pics of the plugs.. just to show the abuse and action these things were subjegated to for nearly 2 1/2 hours of non stop harrasment.

I only stayed out this morning for 3 hours, yet managed to bring in one DREADED ROI, 3 Uluas and 4 omilu under 3 pounds each. I did not keep all fish mind you, yet released the omilus, killed the ROI and only kept 2 of the 1-2 lb Omilus for tonights dinner.

I was so happy with the Rods, Gauranteed they will handle a 50lb plus Ulua. The action of the Plugs was well with these rods and was able to launch a 4-5 oz plug 80 yards , was able to cover some serious area with these things.

Attached Files:

2. mglindo

mglindo Well-Known Member

Great pictures. I bet you had a lot of fun too! Mahalo for the photos.

3. Kauai_Kanseah

Aloha Mike , glad you enjoyed the pictures. Like I mentioned, I was eager to test out two of these rods I just finished up. I was very pleased with the results and they do handle the Papio and Ulua.

I love gettin out on the water, anytime actually yet really get my high from it in the early hours of the morning. Todays action for three hours was awesome, bueatiful morning on the beach and just wonderful weather. Wish I could share more of these pics and outings in the general forum yet......

Seriously considering not posting anymore to be honest with you, just feel limited in just posting in the Hawaii section. Sure a few local guys like yourself in the mainland would check this section occassionally, yet like I said, wanted to broaden the viewing and experience simply becuase of my affinity for fishin for those BSP you guys get out there.

Anyhow, glad the local Boys enjoy my posts, and of course I love for fish.

Take care Bra.. put the word out there and if I get enough responses I will cotinue to share the pics and experiences, like I say, I am out on the water at least 4 days out of the week minimum, rain, sun, night or day... I like go

Mahalo

4. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

I like those reels also.
    I really enjoy hearing about your Hawaiian surf fishing trips.
    Keep the great pics coming.
    I've never heard of the Roi..is it an eel?

Thanks

5. mglindo

mglindo Well-Known Member

Aloha Richard. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the mainlanders think that fishing in Hawaii is mainly off-shore fishing. They don't realize that a lot of the locals can't afford paying to fish off a boat and usually fish from the shore. Again, Mahalo for the pictures.

6. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

what blank did you use bradda? pass the specs along I like your style itz the the kine!

7. Kauai_Kanseah

Mahalo everyone for the interest and responses. Like I say, I love for fish, any kine time or day of the week, and was even more enjoyable that I was able to try out two new Rods that I had recently worked and a few of the poppers.

Paul, the Roi is actually part of the Grouper family, and is what others outside of the islands refer to as a 'Peacock Grouper'. They are bueatiful fish actually, quiet aggressive, yet an intoduced species, which unfortunately has a voracious apetite. Relatively new to the islands, I believe they started showing up around 12-15 years ago. As I mentioned, part of the Grouper family, very aggressive and a major carrier of Cigatuera here in the islands. Such a shame though, for what I am hearing from other Anglers, and a lot of the Kapuna from Micronesia and such is that they are one of the best tasting fish to eat, I myself have neva eaten one, caught plenty yet... neva like get the cigatuera. I have had two friends get it, horrible sickness. Once you get it, it is like catchin Herpes, it neva leaves you, and you develop a mean allergy to Fish. So, I neva like get Cigatuera or herpes !

Mike, unfortunately, I think you are correct, I think when a lot of people think fishin in the islands... they only think of catchin Mahi Mahi, Ono, Aku and such. Such a shame really because there is a plethora of fish out here for eat, catch or just see. Possibly I will really throw them for a loop and post up my days when I go dive or throw net for fish and dinna. I do have a boat, small one, just a 17 Boston Whaler, yet I only use that for divin for lobster, Tako and fish. You are correct, not everyone here in the islands has a chance to get out on a 30ft plus Bertan or Mako.

Pineapple, I see in your avitar, you catch Mahi Mahi, cool, if so in doing so, you are definetely in the hunt or proximity for catch Ulua (Giant Trevally). The Blank(s) that I used are a 8' Zenaq Duro GT rod and one 8'6 Black Hole carbon GT Rod. Both are friggin phenomenal, and both bona fide Ulua killin machines. Both are very resonably priced in comparison to some of the Higher end Japanese GT carbon rods, and every bit as light and strong. I have tried out some of my friends Japanese Rods, very good and definetely what one would expect performance wise for the price, yet the two that I put together are on par bar none. The Black Hole blank is rated for use up to 80lb test and throw up to 9 ounces, I only have only used 40 on it and the heaviest popper I have thown is a 5.5 on it. Even screwing up or in the wind, still launches 40 plus yards out, and am regularly gettin it out there 80 yards. If you like all the guide specs and reel seat info, let me know Pinapple I will post them up. I did a triple wrap coat with these two, I wish for them to last and no like them fail when I am out. Those Ulua can get pretty nasty, look at the poppers, all bust up, good thing I have been makin my own.

The Van Stall reel I get, picked that up at a garage sale actually, the one holding the garage sale did not know what they had, must of been a divorce or separation sale, I got it for $50 ... hehehe, anyhow it works like a charm and is every bit as good and strong as what they claim them to be. Oh and the Saltiga rips.... did not get for $50 though :(

Once again Mahalo's every one, maybe next time I take pics of a morning throwin net or diving.

Aloha :beerchug: so sorry for the beer chug, yet no shaka signs within smiley section

#7 Kauai_Kanseah, September 5, 2011
    Last edited: September 5, 2011
  8. spartan44

spartan44 Well-Known Member

Richard,
    I love your posts and pictures :)
    Keep em coming !!!

9. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Well-Known Member

Awesome report Richard, awesome!!! Beautiful pics 4 sho!!