Del Valle Lake

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by stubbs, Jun 27, 2010.

1. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So with the house and all, my fishing time has been zero. I needed to get out and figured why not take the yak out since I haven't been in it in over 6 months. So the plan was to wake up "early" around 7:30 and get out to a small lake here called Shadow Cliffs. Its basically an old quarry which filled with water and has become a fishing/boating/swimming park. I've never been there before but heard its got some clear water and you have to downsize a bit to get fish. No prob so I head out. I get to the lake and there is some special event and its closed...Doh! Since I'm out I hit another lake I've never been to before called Del Valle which is about 10 minutes away.

Get to the lake and they have a boat inspection.....Pretty easy to pass when the yak hasn't seen water in over 6 months. Anyways they ask if its been in Southern California in the last 30 days....I guess boats that have been in the water down there are banned? Who knows.

Anyways I do the difficult marina launch and head out to the fishing grounds. Water was slightly off colored and warm, its probably high 80's outside. Started with no wind but it eventually came up around 10:00am. I started fishing the reeds and was pitching a smallie beaver. I had two bites which I farmed both...I'm thinking I'm using too small of a hook, I think it was either an EWG 1/0 or 2/0. I gave up on the beaver and rig a tube instead.

Cruising around I see a fair amount of bluegills in the water as well as baby bass, I know thats always a good sign. As I'm looking around I see a cove which looks good. I head over and decide to drift the last 200 yards and fish my way in.

Cast out and pop the tube a couple times and boom fish on. I'm fishing some underwater weeds and I can feel the fish is wrapped out. I get myself vertical and it pops free and its in the yak....skunk is gone.

[​IMG]

The fish clocked in just under 2 1/2 lbs....I was stoked at least I got something.

Can't really see much but this area had big clumps of underwater weeds.
    [​IMG]

I end up making my way to the back of the cove and it looks good. I end up fishing the outside for nada before slowly venturing deeper.

[​IMG]

I end up tossing my bait back there and get slammed. I tried to get back to the fish but with 6lb test it snapped pretty quickly....Oh well. I tied another one on and fished for another 15 minutes before bailing at noon.

On the way back grabbed a shot of the swim beach too...
    [​IMG]

Ended up with one fish and 3 misses....

Gear used:

Curado E7 matched up with a Crucial. 8 lb Izorline Platinum and a 4/0 EWG and a 4 1/2" BPS Flipping tube in Green Pumpkin.

[​IMG]

Shimano Sahara 1500 on a Powell 702 with 6 lb Izorline Platinum and a EWG 3/0 hook with a BPS version of the 5" Senko.

[​IMG]

So not bad for an exploratory trip, will definitely be back....with heavier line...:D

Will be back in Late July for a quick trip in the Salt....finally

2. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

hey stubby, great looking bass!

3. Albacrazy

Albacrazy Well-Known Member

Great report. Love Del Valle! I used to fish that lake a lot back in the 80's when I lived in Fremont. A buddy of mine caught a 4.5# Smallie out there last month.

4. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

sweet report brada.glad to see ya!!!!

5. Top Shot

Top Shot Gold Coast Lady Anglers

Looked fun and relaxing...Good times!!!

6. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

Hey Jeffie, how about some feedback on the Platinums use on the spinning reel. I've tried it on a spinning reel and didn't like it. How's it working out for you?

creekster:cool2:

7. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

I pretty much only use platinum in the 4 and 6lb on my spinning reels for ~10 years or so. I tried 8 and it sucked.....IMO its probably the best bang for you buck line on the market