Early Morning Hanapa Action

Discussion in 'Hawaii USA' started by Kauai_Kanseah, August 27, 2011.

1. Kauai_Kanseah

Kauai_Kanseah Well-Known Member

Omilu II.jpg

Pluggin.jpg

Rubbish.jpg

Local Boy does good.... again. Was hopin to share my catches with the guys in the mainland, rather than some Marlin tour boat action or touristy pay jobs which people equate with Island fishing.

Local fishin techniques, local kine fish that we eat on a daily basis.

First catch was an Omilu which approached 20 lbs. Bait used was Weke, sliding that bugga out live. This one here had hit within the first 15 minutes of having the bait in the water. Bugga fought good, and nearly lost it within the last 20 yards of gettin it in. Funny thing was, and wish I was able to take picture, as I was bringing it in, this Omilu was traveling in a pack... they was hungry, as it was fighting and comming in, I saw 4 others trailing it, two of which were even larger.

Second catch I was pluggin, usually I will set one pole out for slide bait, another pluggin or catchin bait. This one here was 5lbs, hit the plug harder than what I thought was for its size. Fought like hell as well and took some time to bring in.

Last catch of the morning, aside from the bait and the Omilu and Papio, was the scourge of the islands here, the dreaded Roi. This Roy was slightly smaller than the 10lb monster I caught in Hilo a few years back. Allegedly a really good eating fish, yet introduced, may have cigatuera and detrimental to native fish species. This one obviously was not gonna become Sashimi or on the pupu platter.

For all the local brudda's out in the mainland, just a few picks from home, and of course for all those in the mainland, we get more than just Marlin, Ahi, Ono and Mahi Mahi that hit the Dinna table

Mahalo
    HAWAII NO KA OI

#1 Kauai_Kanseah, August 27, 2011
    Last edited: August 27, 2011
  2. mglindo

mglindo Well-Known Member

Great pictures. Haven't heard about the Roi investation before! Must have been since after 1968 when I left the islands when I joined the A. F.

3. Kauai_Kanseah

Mahalo Mike, the Roi persecution started about 10 years ago, or at least overall awareness of the Rapid numba's in which they reproduce and of course the harm they do to native species. It has gotten to the point where X amount of times per year, there is some kine of sponsored free diving event which targets specifically Roi.

I do hear they are good eating fish, however neva did eat one that I can rememba. I have two friends who had after eating this kine fish had get the cigauatera.

Mahalo's for checkin on the island fishin reports, I originally was posting within the general or Surf fishin section, hopefully show the guys in the mainland the kine surf fishin we get out here, and of course just a ways for me to gather information about when I go out to the mainland to fish for BSP, yet for what eva reason mods landed it within the Hawaii section where one gets days old Marlin and Ahi fishin reports.. dont understand it, hell if I wanted to post local kine fish and fishin techniques, would have done so on a local site... sharin is caring I gues.. Possibly if I keep postin my catches people in the mainland and within this forum will see there is more to catch the Ahi Mahi Mahi, Ono and Marlin, hell not everyone get chance for go on boat.

Mahalo's will keep posting my Hanapa action, I go often

4. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

For all the variety and size you get in the islands, I just can't figure out why you have such a thing for our Barred Surf Perch. Great pics of some really colorful fish , Richard.

5. Kauai_Kanseah

Jeff thanks for the compliments of the the coloration .bounty and variety that I and many others here in the islands catch and enjoy eating. In respect to answering your question of my fascination with barred surf perch.. I guess one could only read your signature of qoute ' The measure of a fisherman is not the size of the catch, but in the size of the desire to repeat that experience'

I cannot accurately describe my desire of excitement for catchin BSP, caught a multitude of species of fish, both by rod and reel and diving.... just enjoy being out on the beach, walkin the beach and eatin the BSP, thats my take on it

6. spartan44

spartan44 Well-Known Member

Richard,
    Those are some very colorful fish {)
    how do they eat? or do you have a comparision to other fish on how they taste?and the texture?

7. Kauai_Kanseah

Spartan thanks for the compliment of coloration. Well ,the Omilu (blue coloration) is of the same species as the Papio, all derived from what you refer to as Giant Trevally. As mentioned to other previously these fish can range from less than a lb to over 100lbs at any given outing.

Personally I like to eat those within the 1lb to 25lb range. These fish are overall very good eating fish, and are in abundance. Aside from the taste, these fish are very versatile in respects to how one could prepare them. As with any species, one size does not fit all in some cases.

Here in the islands, dependent upon the size caught, they can be prepared by frying, as in the same manner as one would be a large Perch, baked, Filleted, Smoked, Dried (like Jerky) used in soups or even eaten raw. Eaten Raw as like sushi, is very good. We also use to make Poki, a dish which the fish is cubed, not cooked and garnished with limu, onion, peppa, hawaiian salt, sesame oil and chilled, very good.

Laugh if one may, yet this fish dependent on how prepared has the taste and texture, I believe similar to ling cod, snapper, ahi (tuna) , unless eaten raw, definetely not the texture of Salmon or Steel Head. If ever given the chance make it part of your dining faire some time, they really are good.

The last fish , the Roi, I have never eaten one, they are a recent introduction to the islands, yet plenty of Asian imigrants love this fish for eating, I do know they like steam them and use them in soups. Due to this species a high risk for Cigatuera, I have not tried eating them.

Hope this helps, Mahalo

Aloh