Favorite Combo

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by Sinker, January 24, 2007.

1. wils

wils Well-Known Member

calstar 700M, Torium 20, 60# spectra and 100 yards of 40# mono works well for sliding and tossing iron for yt and tunas
    http://www.westcoastangler.com/galleries/wca_2005_5day/web/images/DSC01041.jpg
    http://www.myfishingpics.com/wca_galleries/independence_5_day/out/images/008_18.jpg
    http://www.myfishingpics.com/wca_galleries/independence_5_day/out/images/024_2d2.jpg

but my seeker and shimano 20/40 with fresh 30 mono is my "go to" rig for bait and more iron:
    http://www.westcoastangler.com/galleries/wca_2005_5day/web/images/DSC01134.jpg
    http://www.westcoastangler.com/galleries/wca_2005_5day/web/images/disc_002_017_20.jpg

the 20/40 has weak drags and I have a twin backup reel. But I can cast them on a 7' rod the same distance as the pros can with their 8'+++ rods and mega-$$$$$ reels. the torium 20 drags "take a licking and keep on dragging"

But my most important "go to" has always been fresh line and properly maintained drags. ;)

#21 wils, January 25, 2007
    Last edited: January 25, 2007
  2. Sinker

Not sure about Drew (but I can't wait to hear)

BUT

You all know I am not a fan of AVET Reels back from the early days of when the SX was all they had. Was on a waiting list for the MX, got it and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Many things have been corrected since those early days. However, they still have one of the worse AR's in the business. They are very stubborn about repairing reels that are not cared for by their EXACT specifications regardless if that was a cause or not. If you take your reel to them you will receive GREAT service but ship your reel in from out of state and chances are it will come back with the same problem.

There super free spool impresses me NOT - What does is that they are the only reel company to date that is making small, large line capacity, 2-Speed reels and those of you into Butterfly Jigs know the benefit to this - High speed to work the jig properly and low speed to handle those big fish after they are hooked.

Do I own AVET Reels - Yes but they are not even close to my favorites or my Go To's by any means - My favorites - The SX, MXL and JX in the 2-Speed versions - I know I am in the minority here and why I usually do not comment on AVET threads.

NOW - the Pro-Gear reels are well built and service has been awesome but no really required. The new Oceanus is a slick reel that is built GREAT and priced right. I can't wait to see it in a 2-Speed version. New life to Pro-Gear.

3. "KNOT HOME"

"KNOT HOME" Well-Known Member

Calstar 700ML match with an Accurate 270 and some 30lb Line.....

Does Everything I need it to do!

4. Carnivore

Well I can say that a Ex employee (I will let him jump in if he wants) said the problems with them had to do with inconsistency with the production part and a lack of customer care when reels are sent in and a few other things I won't get into. Yesterday I had a delivery there and talked to one of the machinists that showed me some major problems with the material with stress cracks and such. Bent frames just out of the CNC and out or round spools. The whole thing just put me off of them. Now that doesn't mean that they are not nice reels I really have no clue if any of this will have any affect on the performance or even if progear are any different to be honest. I am not telling others to dump them, just I am.

5. cisurfer

cisurfer Senior Member

im a Penn guy. I have 1 avet.
    The rest are Penn Intl, Senators, GS's

Just think how butt hurt everyone on Bloodydecks would be over this avet talk.

6. Carnivore

Have no clue what happened over at bloody I don't frequent there. I am not trying to start anything with Avet just saying what I have seen and heard. It is up to others to decide or use the info how they see fit. Not bashing just making things clear, I don't want any problems like last time.

7. wils

wils Well-Known Member

I have yet to use the smaller AVETs, but I know a few folks who do regularly. and they love them. The little 2-speeds are showing up more and more on the overnight albie/yellowtail trips. (15-30#)
    Yes, I have heard that the first reels were typical prototypes - but the bugs were figured out quickly. Since they are manufactured in chatsworth, i can see where a problem reel in florida might be more than minor inconvenience?

as for the other boards getting all hot and heavy over specific brands of anything and everything:
    whats the name of the old tv variety show? "thats entertainment".:moon:

that's also what makes GetBent a class act - getbenters dont feel the need to own the latest/greatest/most expensivist of gear. We got what we got and it works....for me anyway.

lets stick to the important stuff to argue about: budlight? or coorslite?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Back on subject:
    I also love my 7 yearold Calcutta400 for tossing plastics to calico bassies.
    shimano 15/30 for drifting for halibut works, too.

8. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

coors light....for me....kolorodo kool-aid!

On the whole Avet issue...Keep in mind the company isnt even 10 years old....I think there first reels came out in 2001 and had a ton of problems. Look at how much they've grown since.

Progear had a ton of issues as well in the 90's.....But the Oceanus is one sick reel.

Its growing pains for new companies, saltwater fishing puts gear through hell and back....

9. cisurfer

cisurfer Senior Member

I said i wasnt happy with my first one and my dads broke, and just about everyone on BD started bashing me.
    Thats why i love GetBent too! Everyone here is rad.

Actually, my all time fav reel is Penn GS555, spooled with 30#. Its caught 90# yft!!!!
    Cant go wrong with Penn, theyve made gear forever.

10. cisurfer

cisurfer Senior Member

oh and i just go for good ol' Budweiser

11. Joey805

Administrator

I currently own 8 Avets and have not had a problem with a single one one yet. All reels when not taken care of properly will run into issues.

They are not perfect by any means but I like them and thats all that matters :D

12. Sinker

This is such a common issue with Tackle. It is truly a matter of preference and why it is so hard to give recommendations. Some folks prefer Seiko Watches, others like Ford Products, some are Shimano fans.

Most important thing is to have faith in what you have and are using.

Like I said I am on the minority list on my feelings with AVET and I know that. I can battle forever on the issue and never make a fan of them see the light from my perspective. I hold no grudge against them or the reels.

I have a Shimano Stella in the 4000 size that frankly I feel is a waste for a reel that size - no bang for the buck at all and way over priced. I also have one in the 20000 that is a bad ass reel and worth what I paid for it (even if I did get it at a deal and a half).

Got an old Penn Squider that is worth maybe 25 bucks and I love it. My Avet LX 2-Speed does make a good shark rig.

To bash someone for expressing their feelings makes no sense to me and accomplishes nothing. If someone asks an opinion about a certain reel then expect to hear good and bad as it is a matter of preference and I doubt you can please everyone. I like Accurate reels but they are heavy and expensive. I have yet to find one specific manufacturer that I would only own their product.

Anyway, guess I will have a Jack & Coke as I am not much of a beer drinker.

13. Surf Hunter

Surf Hunter Well-Known Member

back on track:
    Favorite for surf plugging: Calcutta 300TE on a Loomis 1266C
    Favorite for surf perch: Calcutta 250, custom Seeker 196-7
    Favorite shallow water rock cod, Avet MXJ, Loomis bucara
    Favorite iron: ARC 8020, Avet MXJ

14. Sinker

But which is your overall favorite ??? You can only choose one - Tough Huh

15. Thresher

Thresher Well-Known Member

As of late, I've been having fun throwing jigs...so mine would be an Ulua cut to 9'3" with a R series Newell 332.

16. Surf Hunter

Surf Hunter Well-Known Member

Well, since most of my fishing is in the surf, I gotta go with the 300TE and the Loomis 1266C.
    you can't even pry my hands off that rig when the striped ones are in the surf out here.

17. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Well-Known Member

ill go simple:

Calcutta 400 on 7'6 12-25 xh Teramar. That rig has caught everything from DD striper to calicos to YFT.

18. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

Favorite

Tough choice doesn't even begin to cover the subject.
    Does one pick the favorite for Trout, Calicos, Lings and Reds, Tuna and Dorado, Big Sharks, or what?
    Does one fish from shore, on the rocks, pier, kayak, rowboat, private powerboat, or only on 3 day long range boats?
    Does one fish only in Mexico, So. Cal, Central Cal, Alaska, Florida, or the Tortugas?
    Obviously 1 combo is not going to work for all of these species or the types of conditions that we fish. What it boils down to is, What is you favorite way to fish? Everybody will have different ideas of what is favorite. I am not even going to try to answer this one, as I, and probably most of you, fish may different varieties at different times of the year.

On the subject of imbibing, Coors light is my primary choice, unless I am flush. Then the choice is Corona, with a lime.

19. wils

wils Well-Known Member

then for sure:
    the shimano 20/40. it's lightweight and will underhand lob an anchovy, cast a swimbait and launch the iron...for under a hundred bucks.

#39 wils, January 26, 2007
    Last edited: January 26, 2007
  20. ODH33

Drew thank you foryour insight on why you are dumping your AVETS. I know you are not bashing them and they just dont work for you.

That being said i have reels by other companies as i like keeping an open mind and trying different ones. I just picked up an accurate 665 at a killer price. Its what i used when squid fishing and i liked it. so much so that i am getting the Boss 870 2 speed for my ulua rod

#40 ODH33, January 26, 2007
    Last edited: January 26, 2007