Fish finder

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by baggotrix, January 17, 2014.

1. baggotrix

baggotrix Gold Coast Lady Anglers

Howdy, I'm looking for some recommendations for a portable fish finder. Fishing small rental boats.
    Thanks Lori

2. Bearfish

Bearfish Well-Known Member

WHen I worked at Castaic at the boat rental shop I saw a bunch of my customers with the humminbird and they wold clamp the transducer to the boat. Worked well from what I was told and they all said it made life a lot easier for structure and if the fish were not willing to play, getting the lay of the land. Not sure of which one but Im sure there must be better equipment out there since my leaving the sanctity of that haven 5 years ago.

3. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

I was thinking of make something like that for renting a boat at Casitas
    but never got around to it.
    a small square milk crate , not the big rectangle ones,
    mount a small battery, in a batt. box,
    mount the FF on the top., maybe a hinged platform at the top
    trnsducer on a pole with a clamp for the transom.
    Probably extra room in the crate for other stuff storage too !!
    I have a couple old hummingbirds that should work

4. Carnivore

Not a bad unit http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=735123&productVariantId=1211481&WT.srch=1&WT.tsrc=PPC&rid=20&WT.mc_id=GOOGLE|19726_Boating+Electronics_Sonar+and+Sonar%2FGPS+Combos|USA&WT.z_mc_id1=43700001029308552&gclid=CM387fDnibwCFa6DQgodBEcANA&gclsrc=aw.ds Never used one myself. It would be very convenient but with 6 double "A" batteries not sure how long it would last.

Lowrance has one too that I have only seen at west marine and Amazon it is the X-4 Portable Fish finder it comes in it's own bag too. Again never used it personally but the pics don't make it look to cheap.