fishing in texas?

Discussion in 'Gulf Coast' started by FishFreeWilly, Oct 20, 2006.

1. FishFreeWilly

FishFreeWilly Well-Known Member

anyone from Texas ever fish the ocean there....or anyone taken a trip, i can see myself maybe moving there come a few years down the line....

2. Papio

Papio Well-Known Member

Alive and Well in Texas

Papio Here,

Living here in San Antonio since 1986 ( from paradise Hawaii ) and been fishing the salts and fresh, but mostly salts. The inshore and offshore fishing is excellent. If you're the land type, surf, jetties, bay and ocean piers are excellent too, not to mention the great wade and kayak fishing. All of my saltwater fishing are in the Corpus Christi/Port Aransas area but there's other excellent areas up and down the the coast.

Corpus Christi recently built two rock jetties. Reports from anglers were awsome. The jetty walkers were yanking in Tarpon, King & Spanish Mackerel, Redfish, Trout, Snook, Mangrove Snappers. They were also catching pan fish including Sand trout, Whiting, Flounder, etc.

But about a week ago, the dreaded "Red Tide" came on shore (some tide that
    sucks up all the oxygen in the water resulting in massive fish kills, happens every year around this time) There's a bunch of dead game/bait fish up and down the coast at this writing. There's also a "Brown Tide" that comes on shore too, but not sure it's the same as the Red Tide.

We also have great shark fishing from the surf and beach piers. Anyway, if you have any specifics u want to know, let me me know.

3. FishFreeWilly

FishFreeWilly Well-Known Member

great thanks papio, i'm just tired of up here in MA and want change. ive got a friend down in texas who i have not seen in about 5 years and i miss her dearly....maybe the coast guard will station me there will see what happens.

4. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

chris, papio is the man in texas..great guy to fish with if you have a boat just don't let him trailer it......hahahahahaha sorry charlie, I could not resist....

5. Papio

Papio Well-Known Member

Okay b.dawg, you got me there, but isn't the owner of the boat suppose to secure his toy before yanking it out the water especially when he's present? ha-haha......how was the fishing the other day?

Tommorrow I'll make another attempt to visit Our new Bass Pro. It was chaos the last two days.......

Chris, good luck and hope you do get transfered this way.

6. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member