FREEDOM GONE!!!!

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Seasickgal, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Seasickgal

Seasickgal Gold Coast Lady Anglers

Just heard the Freedom has gone offline.........like its out of business!!! Anyone know what happened? :crying:

2. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

that was a good boat, yeah what happened?

3. Joey805

Administrator

Dang, seriously? Nothing on their website or facebook page about it.

4. wils

wils Well-Known Member

5. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Do you have a phone?[/QUOTE]

No but I have drums.....do they answer drums?:dunno:

6. wils

wils Well-Known Member

No but I have drums.....do they answer drums?:dunno:[/QUOTE]

when are ever going to ugrade that system to two campbell soup cans and a piece of string? :slap:

7. "KNOT HOME"

"KNOT HOME" Well-Known Member

Are they done? or just down for Winter Maintenance?

8. Thresher

Thresher Well-Known Member

The 22nd Street landing site shows the Freedom scheduled for a 1.5 day leaving tonight. I hope its just a rumor....lots of fond memories on that boat.

9. Seasickgal

This was on Facebook last night

[​IMG]
    So Cal Salties
    Like This PageLiked · 19 hours ago

A lot of you have probably heard by now. The Freedom's last trip was this Saturday. I was on the boat and am working on a story. For now, I just wanted to say that I've had some memorable rides on that boat and will miss Tommy and his crew. Best wishes to all of them.

10. Joey805

Administrator

Gee thanks captain obvious. :rolleyes:

11. Joey805

Administrator

Just called the landing, they said they are still taking reservations for the boat but just aren't getting enough people to run. I asked if they are shutting the business down permanently and he said he doesn't know. He hasn't heard any news regarding it.

#11 Joey805, Oct 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  12. wils

wils Well-Known Member

gee. you're welcome. :D

13. Seasickgal

hope they can stay in business, love fishing on the Freedom. One of my favorites for going out for the long runs

14. Seasickgal

Article in WON

Farewell to the fishing vessel Freedom?

BY JOE SARMIENTO/Special to Western Outdoor NewsPublished: Nov 08, 2013

Friday afternoon, Oct. 25, I received word from one of the regulars anglers from Freedom Sportfishing. “Tonight is going to be the last ride for the Freedom. Come out.”Wow. Really? I didn’t even know where they planned to go, or the target fish, but I packed my gear and headed down to San Pedro.

I arrived at the landing around 8 p.m. and comfortably made the 9 o’clock departure. The regular crew was onboard – Capt. Tommy Lee, 2nd captains Butch Diaz and “Sal” Salazar, Ted, Chloe and Robbie on deck and Greg in the galley. Once we were underway, Tommy gathered the passengers into the galley for a trip briefing. We’d be heading out to San Clemente. We’d start out the day fishing Pyramid Cove, looking for yellowtail. Then we’d head outside to rockfish, then look inside again for calico bass to end the day. After picking up anchovies at the bait receiver, we motored out to the islands.

[​IMG]

CAPT. TOMMY LEE’s last trip briefing aboard the Freedom?

Around 3 a.m., we stopped and made squid, then moved on and dropped anchor in the Cove before first light. The action was lively right out of the gate. Anglers immediately had success with hard fighting bonito biting on light slider setups with the live squid. The steady staccato of bonito flopping around as they hit the deck was occasionally interrupted big blue perch, some calicos and a barracuda. As the sun was coming up one angler got a big hit that took him up the starboard rail. His extended battle ended in disappointment. Black seabass? We’ll never know. Shortly after, another angler got picked up fishing the squid on a high dropper loop. His battle ended successfully with a nice 12-pound yellowtail.

[​IMG]

CAPT. SAL HOLDS the lone yellow of the day.

Unfortunately, that yellow ended up being the only one for the trip. After more bonito, we moved outside to work some rocky spots in search of rockfish to fill the sacks. Over several drifts, sacks indeed got filled…reds, chuckleheads, big groupers and whitefish highlighted the proceedings. Most fished double droppers with strips of squid, but heavy jigs in combination with various plastics seemed to entice the bigger fish. We made our way back in to the kelp line and found a few bass and sheephead to end the day.It was a fun, if not spectacular, day on the water.

Over the course of the day, little hints dropped about the status of the boat. On the way back, I talked to several of the crewmembers and regular riders aboard the boat.Many of them reminisced about favorite trips and big fish they’d caught aboard the Fredom. In terms of the boat’s status, the story that emerged was a familiar one. The boat had a tough year economically. In a year when we saw an extended white seabass bite in the Channel Islands and a year with big bluefin mostly south of the border, they didn’t see as many of their regular riders. In the last week plus, the boat hadn’t even gotten off the dock (their last official trip report is dated Oct. 5th). It was said that the only reason they went out on this trip was it was crewmember Robbie’s birthday. As we neared the dock, Capt. Tommy seemed to confirm the status of the boat. He thanked us for coming out and our support over the years.

[​IMG]

TOMMY AND ROBBIE with a rare opah caught this September. PHOTO COURTESY OF FREEDOM SPORTFISHING

I felt sad. This boat is my go to overnight boat for fishing Catalina and Clemente islands.In the spring, they were often one of the first boats to score yellows and white seabass at the islands. Late summer, they would often venture long to the outer banks, Tanner and Cortes, in search of tuna. When the summer bite slowed down, Tommy would run out to seldom visited Santa Barbara or San Nicolas islands to find big rockfish eager to accept anglers’ offerings. Wherever there was a hot bite, Tommy would find it. I’ll always remember him as a fisherman’s captain. It was clear to me that his bottomline was to put you on fish.

I didn’t get a chance to talk to Tommy on the trip. After the trip, I sent him a note and his only answer was, “We’re not out of business. Thanks for your concern. Tom.”

I’ve confirmed with some of the crewmembers that they have been let go and they’re looking for work. It would definitely seem that the future of the boat is uncertain.One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that Tommy, his wife Pinky, and his crewmembers were one of the hardest working crews on the water. Every trip I had with them, it was obvious they were giving top effort to show you a great day on the water. I enjoyed plenty of fun rides on the Freedom. If this was the last ride, you all will definitely be missed. I wish you the best and hope to see you again someday at the rail.

#14 Seasickgal, Nov 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  15. Seasickgal

ITS TRUE!!! Tommy Lee and Pinkie have posted a long "Goodbye and Thank You" notice on facebook.......Tommy, Pinkie.....when one door closes another big door opens.....Best of luck to a fine Captain and crew. :crying: :sad:

16. Rip

Rip Well-Known Member

17. GRUMPKILLER

GRUMPKILLER Well-Known Member

Thats a shame! A lot of good memorys on that boat! Best of luck to capt and crew!!!

18. Thresher

Thresher Well-Known Member

I'm seriously bummed out. That boat was my go to boat on quick notice if I had time off or the bite turned on locally. Hope Tommy and the crew move onto bigger and better things.