GCLA on the Dominator at Colnett 3-5

Discussion in 'Gold Coast Lady Anglers' started by Top Shot, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Top Shot

Top Shot Gold Coast Lady Anglers

GCLA hit the Colnett once again. We headed out Friday night on a trip that rescheduled due to last weekends foul weather....​

The weather forcast was great...The ocean was grease and the ride was smooth all the way there....I always pray to the fish Gods on the way to Colnett for a shot at the Yellows, but again, no luck on the exotics this time. ​

We threw a couple scoops on the high spot to encourage a bite and Fred and I worked the yo-yo solid for the first hour and a half....Frank wasn't seeing anything on the meter, but I kept trying until my shoulder just gave out.....then it was the dropper loop for the remainder...​

The sun came out early and everyone started stripping off the layers....It felt so nice to feel the sun on my skin for a change...should have broke out the sunscreen when I saw everyone else doing it...oh well. By the end of the trip I was the same color as the Giant Reds we caught all day.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I struggled for the first few drifts....With a pound I would hit the bottom and instantly come up...Current was ripping for sure as everyone else reported. Frank told us we were drifting at 2 knots!!!! Craziness...I scoped out to make contact with the bottom again and EVERY FREAKIN TIME I would hang the bottom.....We were drifting so fast there was no chance of popping it off either...Between Fred and I, I think we donated 15 16oz sinkers to the big blue and then bought another 7 off of Frank....Frank sold 37 pounds of lead by the end of the trip...Jeez...Expensive freaking Lings!!!​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a split JP on this trip because over half ended up being guys because a lot of ladies couldn't make the rescheduled date...I secured the Ladies JP with a Ling that went around 15 pounds. Josh took the men's side with a beast close to 20....We ended up with 43 lings and easy limits of consistantly huge Reds in the 5-8 pound range and a bunch of whitefish and misc. rock fish in the mix. Even 2 or 3 sheephead!​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also caught two "Mexican Reds" (the one on top in the pic below) I think they are just boccacios, but the crew said they are Mexican reds....Any input?? I laid it next to a red for comparison....
    [​IMG]

Meals were off the hook once again...French toast and breakfast burritos in the manana, chicken fajita burritos at lunch, and veal picatta for supper with steamed asparagas....TO DIE FOR!!! and my favorite cookies and cream ice cream for dessert!!! Special thanks to Mondo for sneaking me all the big chunks of cookies!!!!​

[​IMG]

The Dominator has quickly become one of my all time favorite boats for sure....Not just because the boat is so comfy and wide and almost every bunk is a double.....but the crew is so killer cool it's like being with family. They really treat you right and with Frank and Randy at the wheel, that boat just kills the fish...​

Thanks to Frank, Randy, Mondo, Paulie, and Kevin for another fantastic trip and fat full sacs once again!!​

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    #1 Top Shot, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Well-Known Member

Once again fantastic report and pics Erika!!!!

3. Babsie

Babsie Well-Known Member

Great report Erika!

4. wils

wils Well-Known Member

rockfish....mexican-style

nice report, erika.

5. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

sweet job sista! As you know I LOV THE PIC's !!!!!!!!! man the weather looked great.As always GCLA's rock !!!!!!!!

6. joker

joker Well-Known Member

Nice. Reds...now go eat some fish tacos before the wind blows you away...

7. baggotrix

baggotrix Gold Coast Lady Anglers

Nice report Erika, sorry I missed the trip

8. Top Shot

Top Shot Gold Coast Lady Anglers

:rofl::rofl:I hear ya' Danny...My Ling almost pulled me overboard!!!:D

9. Non fishin fool

Non fishin fool Well-Known Member

Great report as usual. Really looking forward to finally meeting some GB'ers in May. I'm gonna stand next to you and Fred, hopefully some of your skills will rub off on me.