Gear Review: New SKB Indestructable Tackle Box!

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by The Saltiest, March 26, 2009.

1. The Saltiest

The Saltiest Member

Mark Smith over at Charkbait hooked us up AGAIN - meet the newest addition to the addiction!!! It's the SKB-7100 Tackle Box, created by world-renown SKB Corporation hailing from my (second*) hometown of Orange, California. I guess that the owner/president, Dave Sanderson, who founded the company in 1977 is an avid fisherman (what would you do with your time if you were that rich?), and created these virtually indestructable hardcase tackle boxes due to his own need for something that fit his "hard" style...

[​IMG]

Let's face it, SKB has been the authority for years - making the illest hardshell cases for everything from amplifier heads and guitar/bass cases to your not-so-little nephew's band trombone. They are phenomenal, and I've stood by their product for as long as I've been a touring musician and local producer. What I didn't know (and I may not be alone here), was that SKB has an entire line dedicated to the sportsman - from fishing rod cases (as seen directly below) to something heavy-duty enough to store your on-the-hush Russian-made Kalishinkov automatic.

[​IMG]
    Check out the length on that thing (the rod case, not the beard!)

The specs on the SKB (flagship) Tackle Box read as follows, straight from the horse's mouth:

The 2SKB-7200 Large Tackle Box is made of indestructible rotationally molded construction with stainless steel hardware and fasteners. The lid opens 90-degrees or 180-degres to access time through a clear acrylic door. Four storage boxes with dividers keeps everything organized. A hanging jig area accommodates over 40 jigs and includes a padded cover to keep them in place. Two large pleated soft exterior pockets for various accessories and a removable shoulder strap makes for easy, convenient transport. Meant for the dedicated fisherman, the 2SKB-7200 is backed by SKB's Unconditional Lifetime Warranty.

[​IMG]
    You can't downplay that fresh Tady coffin!

For me, the healthy mix between the old school long-range heavy (and heavy-duty) wooden tackle box with tons of storage that could stand up to whatever you throw its way, and the new-school tackle bag with removable trays and eye-popping features like built-in rod rocket launchers and a 40+ jig hanger made this purchase a no-brainer! That, coupled with a history of using quality SKB products, their close-to-home location, and their lifetime warranty, definitely made me feel good about my purchase.

Visit Mark and his team at Charkbait today and grab yourself something that will last a lifetime... Oh, and maybe even double as a step ladder so you can reach those Hustler mags you stashed behind the top bunk in the stateroom of the Royal Polaris for when everyone's asleep aboard your next trip!

*My first hometown being the sweet stench that is Hollywood, CA

#1 The Saltiest, March 26, 2009
    Last edited: March 26, 2009
  2. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

Was part of the indestructibility test conducted by having my mother-in-law sit on it?? If so and it passed I'll take 2 please. LOL

3. Joey805

Administrator

Great review! I've heard good things about the SKB boxes. The only reason I don't have one is because if I did, I'd fill it to the rim with gear and it would weigh 200 pounds.

:D

4. The Saltiest

The Saltiest Member

I'm cracking up at both responses. Guys, you are both great. And yes, I hear you on the weight issue.... with regards to both responses!!!

Thanks for reading and looking forward to giving you some more reviews here in a bit... I just hit up Ed over at Whopper Stopper Rods, per a visitor request, and I will post it here at GB for the team.

Good luck this weekend everyone!

=)

5. Carnivore

Yep great boxes an mine is still forsale if anyone wants it. I love it but have no need now that I have the boat. Ya it weighed about 140# after irons, lead heads, normal lead, an 2 trays of hooks an other terminal tackle.

6. bj1jimenez

bj1jimenez Well-Known Member

I SWITCHED TO ALBAKORE ITS GREAT BUT I HEARED THEY WENT UNDER........BUT IT SHOULD LAST ME A LIFETIME, AT THE FRED HALL I SAW THE OPEN WATER TACKLE BOXES AND THOSE LOOK LIKE THE FUTURE FOR NOW.

7. derfsondeck

derfsondeck Well-Known Member

Awesome.But I use WFO because their local(Camarillo)and they hold up.Probably end up with an SKB someday.Mainly because you can put stickers on there!

8. vdiggy

vdiggy Well-Known Member

Im shocked that it doesnt come with a dolly. It should come as a combo package. :eek:

9. derfsondeck

derfsondeck Well-Known Member

Everyone I know with one of those big SKB's needs a dolly for sure.Those things can hold some tackle!

10. Albacrazy

Albacrazy Well-Known Member

I've owned the 7200 for a few years now. Bitchen box!

11. ODH33

i have the the rod tubes. best investment i made for traveling with my rods!

12. bajadave

Only thing wrong with the box is if the boat's tackle rack has a lip and your box is in front of it. You can't open the front compartment. I had to make stand off to lift my box higher then most tackle racks. Just need to add 2" to the bottom of the rod tub holders. Ask Sinker, I made several for him for his box. I too have the rod carrier, Great product and fits 6 rods perfectly.

#12 bajadave, March 30, 2009
    Last edited: April 1, 2009
  13. The Saltiest

The Saltiest Member

definitely, and i hear you on that. that jansport backpack style shoulder strap they have is nice, but wheels are something i'd love too. i just picked up one of those luggage carts that slip under it from target for 35 bucks and it works fine...

who knows, i'm sure they thought about it - but maybe it compromised the strength of the case or something... either that or added a grip of weight... but yes, definitely hear you guys.

thanks all for reading, commenting, and reviewing!!

sol

14. 2 Amigos

2 Amigos Well-Known Member

I got the large one, AWESOME. I hardly take it out though. Its more like at home storage, LR trip and travel. I use my dad's WFO bag for the local trips.

15. The Saltiest

The Saltiest Member

I hear ya man... i'll probably end up throwing the 3600 trays in a backpack, althought charkbait has a great little bag on sale right now for $19.99 - I think it's canvas and fits 3 of the 3600 trays that go into the 7200 SKB (large) box... so i may just grab one of those for local 1/2 and 3/4 day trips...

last night i was at Target and in their luggage section, i found a great (really lightweight and strong) luggage cart with an attached bungee cord... it folds up flat and is perfect for lugging the 7200 around... especially if you have the attached rocket launcher rod holders in place.

thanks again for the read and all the kind feedback guys... go get 'em - spring is here!

16. wheeler77

wheeler77 Well-Known Member

I own one and am quite happy with it......But stickers don't stick well and my jig stick wont fit in rod holder

17. navyfish

navyfish Well-Known Member

I got one of those when they came out years ago. Looking to sell it or trade for a wfo Backpack system. I don't get on multi day trips now and it sits in storage. Email me if you want to deal.

#17 navyfish, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  18. freshonefish

freshonefish Well-Known Member

yep, it's an awesome chest. I really like the under the hood storage for wire, fluro. I seen a guy cut the jig area out were the hooks go and now it holds two plasitc boxes, the size of the Ed's jigs boxes. So now you can add more weight. Somebody said it voids the warranty. The box will out live the warranty.

19. walkerman

walkerman Well-Known Member

True dat.....you can make your own rocket launchers of pvc and attach to the box. Don't know what to do about the stickes not sticking.

#19 walkerman, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011