Going to visit Oxnard for the weekend.. fishing help!!

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Pier, Jetty & Harbor Report' started by Henry7o7, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Henry7o7

Henry7o7 New Member

Hello everyone.. I am going to be making a trip to oxnard this weekend.. would like to put some time into fishing.. I did some research and Ventura seems to be my best bet.. i will be trying my luck out sat morning...

hows the surf perch fishing?
    any good spots?
    what rigs (hook size, weight size, line size)??
    baits to use?

I am not to familiar with the area.. so any help we be much appreciated..

2. MrPukaShell

MrPukaShell Well-Known Member

Hello Henry,

I would fish EmmaWood State Beach area going North. 7 to 8 foot Spinning rod with 4-6 lb test line. Gulp Camo Sand Worms in the 2 inch size. Carolina Set up with a 1/2 oz egg sinker. Should be able to catch some perch. Keep on the move and look for holes and rips. If you have a long rod, double dropper loop with squid for sand sharks or a shot at a ray. Good luck and post some pics

3. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

Robert nailed it. Surf fishing is your best bet right now. Emma Wood area is a good place to start, then head up the coast from there. I've done good at Santa Claus lane too.

40% chance of rain on Saturday so it won't be very crowded.

4. Henry7o7

Henry7o7 New Member

thanks for all the info!!! http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/forum/images/smilies/rockon.gif really helpful... I will try my luck sat morning... what about fresh bait? or should I just stick with the sand worm??

5. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

Camo berkley gulp sandworms are hard to beat for perch. If you're want sharks or rays, squid and cut mackerel work well on a high/low rig.

6. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Joey is right about the rain. I'm shooting for Sun AM, Carp State beach or if waves are to big Santa Claus Lane, but I use Motor Oil Red Flake grubs, both work well. C rigged on light line. Not to light though, have caught halibut and leopards on that little grub, #1 baitholder hooks, little bigger than some use but less throat hooked perch, could even crush the barb for pure C & R.
    Good luck