Goleta and Lompoc Surf Report

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Surf Reports' started by Manuel, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Manuel

Manuel Active Member

Hi Guys,

Just got back to the office from my trip up to Solvang. Thanks for the tip on Goleta. Found the pier area pretty easily. Weatherdid not cooperate this time out. However, I did get a chance tofish the Goleta area on Monday morning and then the Lompoc Surf area in the afternoon.

I foundcrabs pretty easilyunder the pier and figured I was in for some big perch fun. Well, it didn't quite work out that way.I fished the north area of the pier and only managed three small palm sized perch. There was one heck of alot of weeds and grass. I walked north but kept finding the weeds. I gave up after an hour or so and left with 8-10 crabs in a cup.

I had an early lunch and pulled into Lompoc's Surf Beach about 1300. There was a light drizzle and just like the last time I was there the place was nearly deserted. Another observation is that the waves never seem to come in in real sets like I'm used to in the OC beaches. Fished for a good 1.5-2 hrs for four good sized perch for 10-12" and a few palm sized guys. Had quite a few bites that I could not get to stick. Probably the micros?

No fishing on Tuesday or this morning on my way back home. Weather just wasn't cooperating. Maybe next time.& amp; nbsp;

ManuelEdited by: Manuel

2. wodar1

wodar1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report Manuel. I used to live in Lompoc and fished Surf Beach quite a lot.. Then came "Threatcon Plover"!! They closed down the beach because the Snowy Plover nesting groundswere "threatened."I never saw any humans threaten any Snowy Plover, biggest threats I saw to the plover was the feral housecats and hawks. Glad to see that it is opened again. Surf Beach is a really spectacular stretch of beach and used to have some really big perch. I have heard the oldtimers talk about steelhead fishing in the mouth of the Santa Ynez River back in the day.

3. JR12

JR12 Well-Known Member

GOOD JOB! every time my wife wants to go to solvang shopping i say yes thats because she drops me off at the beach and i fish hehe lol so i knew that erea would produce something!

4. ODH33

ODH33 Moderator

good job thanks for the report

5. photoguy

photoguy Well-Known Member

thanks for the report.

6. YakSailor

YakSailor Well-Known Member

Goleta is kind of hit-and-miss. Thanks for the report!

7. FishersDad

FishersDad Banned

I have only fished Goleta twice.. and wore the white stripe both times

8. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

RIGHT ON MANUEL,,,,,10-12 PERCH...ILL TAKE THEM ANYDAY.....THANKS</font>

9. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

Thanks for the report. Not a bad day overall, i'd take it!