Goleta Pier... going BYE-BYE???

Discussion in 'West Coast' started by Flipper, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Flipper

Flipper Moderator

I was told about an article in "fishing tackle retailer", written by Keith Jackson of UASC. It states that this summer we will have a new artificial reef in Southern California... GOLETA!
    Great right? well... I'm not sure. If you read the article it describes a pier in Goleta that will be demolished in order to create this reef. But I cant figure out what pier they are talking about... I HOPE NOT GOLETA PIER! ...could they be making plans to do this to a different pier?
    Please post any information you have, or just what you think.

Thanks,
    Flipper

Strike Zone Communications UASC
    818.349.4608 714.840.0227
    ron@strike-zone.net tom@unitedanglers.com
    UASC ANNOUNCES NEW ARTIFICIAL REEF OFF GOLETA WILL BENEFIT
    COASTAL MARINE LIFE AND RECREATIONAL FISHERMEN
    California Coastal Commission Approves Bird Island Habitat Project
    The decaying remnants of a roaring 20s era pier north of Santa Barbara, California will soon be
    enjoying vibrant new life as Southern California’s latest artificial reef, where it will be home to a
    variety of marine life including calico bass, sand bass, juvenile rockfish, halibut and perch.
    Thanks in part to a joint effort by United Anglers of Southern California (UASC) and the Santa
    Barbara Audubon Society, the California Coastal Commission recently approved a plan to topple
    the existing pier pilings to create a vast underwater reef that will lie about 800 feet off the coastal
    town of Goleta. Work on the project—which will include augmentation with rock and other
    material—should begin during Summer 2005.
    This new structure’s proximity to Naples Reef—a highly popular and productive region for
    structure oriented fish—should make the Bird Island project attractive for a variety of soughtafter
    gamefish such as calicos and white sea bass. Its nearshore location in 30-40 feet of water
    should provide an ideal anchor for new coastal kelp growth and habitat for wide range of marine
    life including invertebrates, small fish and the larger fish that feed on them.
    “When you introduce a new underwater habitat such as this, you kick off an entire marine food
    chain,†said UASC President Tom Raftican. “Over the long run, this increases the overall
    abundance of sea life in the area, which benefits not only recreational fishermen, but everyone
    who enjoys recreation on the ocean. Manmade structures like these are also very important as a
    place for fish to breed and for juvenile fish to gain protection from predators. You can’t rebuild
    fisheries without rebuilding the nearshore habitat that’s the central building block of our whole
    marine ecosystem. That’s why UASC will continue to work for new artificial reefs and promote
    them as a way to help marine life, fish and recreational anglers,†added Raftican.
    The Santa Barbara Audubon Society also took strong interest in the approval of this particular
    project. The above water portions of the decrepit pier pilings have become favored habitat for a
    variety of sea birds, including cormorants and endangered California brown pelicans. To
    accommodate the needs of life both above and below the waves, a unique solution was proposed.
    After the vertical pilings are toppled to create underwater structure, perches will be constructed to
    allow seabirds to rest and dry their plumage above the waterline.
    UASC will be an active partner and work closely with the California Department of Fish & Game
    in the construction of the reef, as well as the ongoing environmental monitoring of the Bird Island
    site.
    For more information about the Bird Island artificial reef and other important marine habitat
    projects, contact: United Anglers of Southern California, 5948 Warner Avenue, Huntington
    Beach, CA 92649. Or visit online at www.unitedanglers.com.

2. crawford23

crawford23 Well-Known Member

I have never fished Goleta, but from what I have heard, it is one of the best piers in Cali. I sure hope that Goleta is not the pier that they are talking about. That would be a horrible decision to take out that pier. My $.02 anyway.

3. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

sounds like their is already remnants of a old pier that has decayed or already been toppled, sounds like the pilings are exposed, don't sound like the concrete goleta pier. The Goleta Pier hasn't been there since the 20's has it?
    Sounds like they will build up this reef with other rock and other material. [​IMG]

4. Sinker

Sinker Moderator

I doubt it is Goleta Pier. In March they had a sign up saying it would be closed while electrical work was being done. The time frame was long too. Boyd, A.k.a. PierHead from PFIC and UPSAC contacted them and got them to agree to open the pier daily for the fisherman after the electrical work was completed for the day. Can not believe that they would spend all that money to rework the electrical to destroy it.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think they are talking about some other pier. I know Poierhead has fished near it ans shown some pictures of it. It is mostly pilings sticking up from the ocean and is in to condition to fish. It looks liek it will be soem nice structure to fish in once it is down:D

Batty

6. Flipper

Flipper Moderator

Good points guys... doesn't make sense to spend all that time and money on fixing up a pier, only to rip it down so shortly after. Plus, now hearing that Batman knows of this spot and has seen pictures.... awww... I feel better now:D

So... yeah! Some new structure to fish... well... maybe from a boat. Too bad they couldn't put it a bit closer to shore for us surf fisherman. I cant cast 800ft[​IMG].

7. KaiMan

KaiMan Well-Known Member

I started and learned how to saltwater fish on that pier. Saw many big catches in years past. I doubt its goleta pier, because it's not really close to naples reef. Sounds like they are sinking a pier, maybe the elwood pier.

8. vanloek

vanloek New Member

9. JR12

JR12 Well-Known Member

GOOD HOMEWORK GUYS that's cool new reef, man maid that means no fishing license required right lol:beerbang: