1. GoletaLocal

GoletaLocal Member

In the past week I have fished Goleta pier a few times mostly between 4-7 pm. I've found the Rockfish(and others) are very spot specific. Lots and lots of small rockies in the 3-7 inch zone. I've gotten on spots where I can pull a fish out every cast. The problem as always when fishing on the pipeline is losing equipment and after last time i went I lost about 5 weights and am unsure If I'm willing to go through that frustration again. I've gotten two Grassy Rockfish around 11-13 inches that I decided to keep(not on the same day.) I also caught a small Sculpin and a small Calico(around 7 inches, and I released those ofcourse.) All the fish I caught were on squid strips, size 1 hooks with a dropper loop or 3 way swivel, 3 oz weight. I've tried to toss a few swim baits out there because I've heard of experienced people slaying lingcod and calicos out here. I'm very NEW to swimbaits, I've never caught a fish on one yet. If anyone has any tips about swimbaits or ideas about how to fish the pipeline without losing as much equipment please let me know. Either way it was fun, In a couple hours you could easily catch 15+ rockfish and maybe a keeper or two if you find the right spot.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    #1 GoletaLocal, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. GoletaLocal

GoletaLocal Member

3. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

thanks for the report brada

4. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

5. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you aren't getting snagged you aren't fishing structure right. when i get snagged on swim baits i hold my rod at 90 degrees take out all the slack in the line then repeatedly swing the rod back and forth lime if I'm setting the hook. i have pretty good luck getting my baits back with this technique. also look into jig heads with weed guards.

7. GoletaLocal

GoletaLocal Member

Thanks for the Advice Batman. J Woodman, If I'm not mistaken, shore rockfish season is year round, the seasonal regulations only apply to those on water crafts such as boats,kayaks, tubes. Batman, what size jig head would you recommend? I tried 3/8 heads on the 3 inch swim baits but I couldn't cast far enough into the structure. I tried a 4 inch swim bait with a 1 ounce head and It seemed to get far enough. I had numerous times where I had schools of bait fish(white queenfish?) follow my swimbait back to the pier. Creekster, thanks for the link! I think I've read every article on the Swimbait website haha. I tried using the few quick cranks and drop back down method but had no luck, I also didn't fish the method for more then maybe 30 minutes and didn't move to enough spots so that's on me

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    #7 GoletaLocal, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  8. thatsharkguy

thatsharkguy Well-Known Member

Is anybody catching any bait yet? Macks/dines/chovies??

If the water temp doesn't drop very soon I would start dusting off the halibut gear at Goleta....

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

thatskark guy goleta is doing great right now for bait. perfect 5-7" sardines macks and spanish macks.i was out there two weeks ago and stocked up on bait.

Goletalocal i typically us a 3/8 or 1/2 oz head on a 5" swimbait off the pier. it is tough to get a small bait out far. what tackle are you using?

10. catchofthemonth

catchofthemonth Member

I don't use any jigheads smaller than 3/4 off the pier and prefer 1oz and sometimes more. I like to fish 4-6 inch swimbaits on the pipe reef to try and keep the small rockies off the bait but sometimes they will eat it anyways. If you aren't fishing with braid I would suggest giving it a try, staying in contact with your lure is the only way to reduce hang ups. I like to try and hop/drag my lure across the rocks on the reef and once i'm clear i try a slow and steady retrieve near the bottom for mister halibut then repeat. There are some big fish in that reef so keep casting and hold on.

11. GoletaLocal

GoletaLocal Member

Batman, catchofthemonth...Thank you that is very helpful info. I'm just using a larger penn spinning reel with cheap 25lb test mono, and a 6.5' shimano talavera rod, not an ideal set up for really any type of pier fishing but its cheap and what I have at the moment. Sharkguy, When I was there last time which was a few days ago, I saw LOTS of bait in the water. Enough where I thought I would tie on a sabiki rig and jig it up and down and each time I pulled up a Smelt on every hook.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    #11 GoletaLocal, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  12. fishing73

fishing73 New Member

13. thatsharkguy

thatsharkguy Well-Known Member

I miss Goleta, lots of good fish to be had there, but there are some serious losers that shark fish the end there. Thanks for the bait info, figured it was about that time...