Grand Isle Louisiana Critterfest

Discussion in 'Gulf Coast - Saltwater Off-Shore Boat Reports' started by Red Drum, July 13, 2006.

1. Red Drum

Red Drum Well-Known Member

I got back this week from a road trip/site-seeing excursion with the family, for two weeks, through the states of Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Louisiana.

I got the opportunity to fish in the Gulf of Mexico, off the coast of Grand Isle Lousiana on two separate trips. The sea conditions were excellent and the fishing was great. We caught an assortment of mean and angry Mangrove Snappers, Red Snapper, Cobia, Red Drum, Spadefish, Triggerfish, Jack Crevalle, Blue Runners, Vermilion Snapper, Amberjack and Blacktip Sharks.

We fished about 15 miles offshore, tied up to one of the numerous oil rigs off the coast line. We caught a lot more bigger fish on the first trip, but I didn’t have my camera with me; however, I made sure to bring it on the second trip.

Here’s a picture of one the typical size and outrageously hard pulling Mangrove/Gray Snapper. Those warm water fish in the Gulf of Mexico definitely pull a lot harder than the cooler water species off the California coast. IMO.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the dental work on that Mangrove Snapper.
    [​IMG]

Here’s a picture of a nice Red Snapper.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of Jared with a nice Mangrove Snapper.
    [​IMG]

Here is Dr. John and Scotty posing with a tasty Cobia.
    [​IMG]

Here I am with a tough little Spadefish.
    [​IMG]

Another husky and hard pulling Mangrove Snapper.
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the crew with some of the days catch.
    [​IMG]

When I got to the fish cleaning facility, I took a couple pics of some of other fish that were caught by some other anglers. There sure is a lot of fish in that Gulf.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here I am skinning a Snapper fillet. That electric knife sure came in handy.
    [​IMG]

After cleaning the 60+ fish that we kept that day, I went back to the camp and went crabbing for an hour in the surf. Those Bluefin Crab are such great eating.
    [​IMG]

We had a nice steamed crab and jumbo shrimp boil that night and it was fabulous. We bought the fresh jumbo shrimp right off the boat for $2.00 a pound. What a great deal. I can’t wait to going fishing again off the coast of Louisiana.

2. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Hey man those more tropical places are really nice to fish.
    Great assortment you got there.

Thanks for sharing!

3. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

That spade fish looks like a sargo!

4. ODH33

way to go vince

5. cappo5150

cappo5150 Well-Known Member

What an awesome trip you had. Tons of fish. Thanks for sharing.