Grandwave Z

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by creekster, April 15, 2004.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

2. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

ok heres what i was talking about with the gear box...

[​IMG]

this is how i hold the rod and reel as i cast.

[​IMG]

here's a side view showing how the gear box is up against my knuckle.

[​IMG]

and here's the aftermath. a full day of casting and this can really be a pain! thats why i cast, for the most part, with my left hand when using this reel. im able to scoot my hand a little back since i built this rod without a trigger, but with a trigger seat, it intensifies the stress on my knuckle. but because of the quality and features of this reel, i still recommend it to anyone looking for bang for the buck.

again, like i said, i have no affiliation with any tackle company. i use and have used penn, shimano, daiwa, okuma, accurate, shakespeare, pflueger, zebco, quantum, avet, and marado. i go into each one with the same scrutiny, whether it is one of my $15 reels or $400+ reels. and i grade them (the ones that i have reviewed) to the best of my ability based on what i know and what i have experienced, taking into account all features including price. and until i become sponsored by any certain company, i will continue to give the same unbiased reviews that i have been giving. hehehe.

we all have our own standards, but it all comes down to the consumer to decide what they want and are willing to spend the money for. on my okuma nytrix, i noticed the wobbly levelwind guide, but i wanted to see what it was worth, so i still bought it. and like i said, i shoulda just spent that money on a millionaire s250 after fishing it a few times. the quality is close, but the tollerances on the daiwa are just much better on these particular comparable (size wise) reels.

what it all comes down to is... do your own research. go to a shop and get all the reels that you are interested in and all the comparable ones available, put them on the counter,and look at them all side by side. play with them.THEN look at the price tag. and take it from there. just like when people ask what kayak they should buy. there is no single kayak that isthe best for fishing. everyone has their own bodies, abilities, and preferences. when someone asks me, i dont give them a definite answer. i just tell them to go to different shops and try out as many as they can so they can decide for themselves.

and tim, im witcha on the avets still hehehe.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

About those avets, I got an e-mail back that was faster than last time( got it the day after I sent it) and it looks like I will be getting my avet fixed for free:D. Lookls like Avet has changed alot and they care about their customers.

Pescador, is that a 20? I had that problem with my 40( thats why I sold it) but I got a newer stlye clamp for my 20 that wraps around the rod. It keeps my finger out of the gearbox and stops all that rubbing.

Batman

4. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

yah its a 20. and it comes with the nicer clamp. not the aluminum one. its just the way i, and others, grip the thing. but just knowing how good the reel is to me, i look past it and, like i said, i cast more left handed now.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ok well I guess it worked fo rme becaue I have long fingers lol[​IMG]

Batman

6. outtosea

outtosea Guest

Hey guys,

Tried to do a compose and after much typing the site locked up the compose window and even dumped the siteso I was pissed to say the least. I will answer everyone back SUN as I'm beat and need another glass of wine.

Happy days,

Frank

PS pEsCaDoR, post if you can a pix of just the R&R in your knuckle pix shots so I can see the reel/seat placement from the side of skin contact.I don't have that problem with my SL30SH and triggerstick which is a SAVON TACKLE CUSTOM SEEKER 8.5' livebait triggerstick, as it has plenty of clearance knuckle wise. Even my other SL30/50SH setups have plenty of room and they are on SEEKER/FENWICK regular non-trigsticks.THX

7. Sinker

Batty glad to hear AVET is treating you right.

Agreed with the gear box issue. I to have the same problem although not as severe I do not do a lot of casting with this rig. This is not just a Diawa problem though as some of the Okuma's and Shimano's have the same issue.

Bigger hands even compound the problem more - I'm not big guy (and getting smaller too I might add [​IMG]down from 267 to 225 and still going, hope to be below 200 by years end) but still have problems with the gear box. It is not as bad though now that I am getting back to fighting, oops I mean fishingweight.[​IMG]

8. bajadave

OFF TOPIC:

Good for you sinker! I'm always happy for people who want to loose weight anddo so. As for the weight you lost, I think they rolled over to me.[​IMG]Must be that good ole ale.

Sorry guys, back to the reel thread.Edited by: bajadave

9. crawford23

crawford23 Well-Known Member

On my Sealine X20SHV I havent noticed that problem yet with the gear box. Of course it is relatively new and hasn't seen much fish time. I guess one of these days when I make a ton of casts with that rig I'll see how the gear box is...whether or not it gets in my way. I primarily got the reel for pitching plastics so I intend to get quite a few casts with it. Already broke her in on a Calico and Sculpin, but wanna get something bigger to test out the rod and reel combo better.

10. Joey805

Administrator

Wow - 3 pages onone reel...Geeze LOL