..Heeeere , fishy , fishy........

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Finadict, May 10, 2004.

1. Finadict

Finadict Well-Known Member

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wow thats just scary. I can just imagine the backlash you will get casting a /8lb log with that Avet[​IMG][​IMG]

Batman

3. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

f**kin b***cin, dude [​IMG]

4. crawford23

crawford23 Well-Known Member

Wow. I am in awe. Is that a new rod you made or that one I saw at your shop with the hollow core spectra? It looks like that one I saw with the oversized guides that looked all too sweet. I really wanna see you fling a cuda with that. That will be a sight all in of itself.

5. Finadict

...Same rod u saw, Crawford...just finished wrapping it and finishing it. Cant wait to get a mako on it!

6. Carnivore

7. crawford23

yeah that is way to Sweet Scott. It will be great once you get a mako on the end of it.

8. 2 Amigos

2 Amigos Well-Known Member

GOD DAMN MAN AWESOME ROD!!!! That thing just screams "Here Mako Mako Mako!". Man Scott you reallydid an awesome job on your rod. So when is the test run?

9. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

10. fishingbeast

fishingbeast Well-Known Member

Yes like the rest said. Beauitful piece of equipment there and love the colors. Hope that baby cross many eyes on fish.

11. Flipper

YEAH, its that thing bad a*s ??? But best of all, not only does it look good, its top quality craftsmanship and hardware. Oh, and Batty... casting an AVET isn't that bad. It may be for advanced casters, and takes a few to get used to the crazy fast freespool... but I nailed a 125 yard cast onto the freeway with my first cast ever on an AVET.... yeah lucky, but still[​IMG]. Now Scott on theother hand...hes good with those things and will have no problem bombing a legal cuda 50 to 60 yards with that setup... big reel and all, hes done it before[​IMG].

But man, that setup has fish slayer written all over it![​IMG]Edited by: Flipper

12. 2 Amigos

2 Amigos Well-Known Member

Yeah that is. Beautiful stick, but like I said, just gotta catch a mako on it to make that set-up complete:D

13. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

THAT IS BAD ASS!!! I GOTTA HAVE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE IWS THE SHOP??? IM COMING DOWN TO BUY ONE RIGHT AWAY! PM ME AND ILL COME DOWN AND ORDER ONE

14. Finadict

Batty...because the reel is a lever drag...and the baits that will be thrown with this rig are HUGE...it can be cast with a little drag on the spool....kinda like a heavy duty cast/ anti-backlash control . A reel this big IS dificult for me to cast because i have short fingers and thumbs....but i wont be casting much , not like a jig stick.

15. Finadict

...Ok....here's some pics of the knotless wind-on wire leader to use with this rig....

[​IMG]

12ft. of #170 coated sevenstrand wire..spliced into 130lb. hollowcore dacron.....

[​IMG]

....knotless bimini loop in the connection end...........

[​IMG]

...closeup of wire-to-dacron splice.........

[​IMG]

....10/0 stainless hook , double crimped with chaffing spring on buisness end....

[​IMG]

...closeup of knotless bimini splice.

With the same klotless bimini loop in 80lb. hollowcore spectra on reel , it's a simple loop-to-loop connection....and the leader can be wound all the way onto the reel.....allowing it to be cast , unlike the traditional , large swivel + 15ft wire leader...that's impossible to cast any distance. DAMN! ...cant wait till i see a finner!!!! lolEdited by: pEsCaDoR

16. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know guys Im just kidding about that Avet. Id like to see the look on peoples faces when they see you casting out a fish they would have liked to catch hehe

Nice rod Scott, I just hope my rod wrapper comes soon. Watcing you rguys wrap these rods is killing me

Batman

17. Anotherbite

Anotherbite Well-Known Member

Scott, can I come work for you?[​IMG] LOL! Guys what do you think? Does that stickdeserve the title "Mother of all Rods?" Nice piece of work, I am anxiously waiting your first report of a monster caught on that bad a$$ rig. Whoa!!

18. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

scott i use the same method with 50lb hollow dacron (also done with 50lb braided mono) when making my loop connectors on the end of my fly line. one other thing you can do to strengthen the loop itself and to give it a little more shock absorption is to put "catches" in the splice. after you bring the end back into the main section of the line, making the loop, run it through about two inches and then let it come out again. then two more inches down go back in, two more inches go back out then two more inches finish it off back inside the main line. this is called a triple catch leaderloop.

one question though, how do you keep it from slipping off the wire leader? on my leader loops i just tie a few wraps of thread around the end, whip finish, and a dab of superglue or head cement. but since the fly line itself is supple, it takes most of the stress and helps hold the loop in place. on a wire leader i can imagine it slipping off because of how rigid the wire is.

19. Finadict

Pescador , I used to use the catch loop method , it does work great! With this rig I pulled the end in about 4 feet...and then where the end is i warmed it up a little with a heat gun and applied about 8"of flexcoat 5min. epoxi to anchor it , so the remaining 3-1/2 feet work like "chinese finger cuffs"....the harder the pull, the tighter it gripps. With the line warmed , the epoxi saturates into the fibers well and stays flexible . The wire is fed into the dacron about 5 feet . I usualy whip-finish the frayed end of the dacronwith#0 fly tying floss and coat it with pliobond . with the one in the pic I cheated a little...i just melted it to the plastic coating on the wire! lol It actualy worked well...I pulled on the whole leader as hard as i could with a short heavy rod ,and couldnt get it to slip.

20. crawford23

Whoa hold on...Mike you casted ont a freeway? How did you do that? WAit, I'm not sure I wanna know.