High Levels of Radiation in Your Fish?

Discussion in 'West Coast' started by Andrey, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    Before I get into the topic of this thread, a little introduction…

My name is Andrey and I am a local SoCal boater and fisherman. I’ve had my (first) boat for a little over three years now. It is a 1995 Boston Whaler Dauntless 15 with a 2010 Honda BF60. In the last two years, I’ve really gotten into visiting Anacapa and occasionally Catalina and Santa Cruz on my boat. In this time, I’ve clocked 230 hours on the engine and traveled almost 1500 miles. In the last year, I’ve gotten into fishing the local waters. I don’t have many boater / fishing buddies, in fact, I am usually out there alone, so I’ve had to learn boating and fishing on my own. I usually fish shallow coves on Anacapa for rockfish, sheephead, perch, cabezon, calicos, and opal eye. I don’t have much experience with “sport fish”. I have yet to catch a seabass and halibut. I did catch a bunch of small yellowtail off Pitas Point in Ventura one time.

Enough with the introductions. We’ve all heard or read stories of radiation in local fish due to the continuing radiation fallout from the Fukushima nuclear plant disaster. Many of the recent stories I’ve read have been very negative but without much facts. I catch a good amount of fish which feeds our (small) family on a fairly regular basis. This has me concerned about what we are eating. I’ve know about croaker and sand bass contamination in the Santa Monica Bay and avoid those species when I fish there. The radiation levels in fish (although mostly reported as testing high) is still a mystery to me.

To get some facts, I’ve decided to test the fish I catch. I have access to a “Fluke Advanced Survey Meter” radiation monitor. This is not a cheap toy monitor but a professional monitor that is calibrated annually. I am also trained and professionally experienced using this instrument. Don’t ask me how I have access to it, I’d tell you but then I’d have to kill you. So I’ve done an initial test on some sheephead, perch and calico I caught off Anacapa over the last two weekends and one of the yellowtail that was left over in the freezer. Good news, no significant radiation spikes. The calico showed levels just above the background maximum. If anyone would like to hear the actual numbers, I can post the results table.

Now for my offer…
    If you would like to have your fish tested for your own peace of mind or to help in this study, please contact me at [email protected] or PM me here. All I ask for is a chunk of fish to test and eat… it would be nice to get something besides the satisfaction of doing this in return for my time.

I think it would be great to have ongoing radiation testing and documenting of the testing with possibly an interactive mapping feature. Any feedback on my proposal will be appreciated.

(I wanted to post this in the reports section to get more exposure but was worried that it would get moved. If moderators support this effort, maybe we can sticky it…?)

Thank you!

2. "KNOT HOME"

"KNOT HOME" Well-Known Member

Id be interested....

I could provide you with quite a few species but would prefer to do it when their fresh caught vs frozen for optimum results.

What qualifications do you have to back up the results?

Im not being an a$$ but I have people who I work with that would be very interested in your results if they could be backed up by a degree, certification etc.

Let me know....

3. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

Hi Randy! Thank you for your interest. First off, my qualifications. (I thought I said don’t ask… I guess you’ll have to tell me where you live now… to show me how to catch seabass ofcourse;)….)
    I’ve been working as an Environmental, Health, & Safety Engineer for a LARGE defense contractor for almost eight years now. I have a Masters degree in Safety Sciences which included numerous industrial hygiene and radiation courses. My experience includes many types of personal and environmental monitoring for chemical and radiation exposure. I’ve worked with the monitor I mentioned for several years now.

Regarding the samples, freezing will not have any effect on the radiation level. The idea has been recently spread when Japan wanted to freeze the ground below the reactors to stop the flow of radioactive water. Freezing will only create a physical barrier to prevent water flow. It will not have any effect on the radiation levels. Thus, even though I prefer fresh fish to eat, frozen is just as good for sampling.

Again, just to make it clear, to measure the radiation level of your catch, I would ask for a piece of fish big enough to provide a small family dinner (no upper size limit). We could meet somewhere for me to get the sample, I would take it to work to measure the radiation level, record the findings, and take it home to eat. Pieces with bones are good too because one of the types of leaking radiation is stored in bones.

I live in Calabasas and work in the San Fernando Valley with the ability to drive up to 20 miles to meet. I am at either Channel Islands or Ventura harbors on the weekends (weather permitting).

Thank you!

4. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Well-Known Member

How do we know if you are just putting up fake results, screenshots included of fish and the measuring tool?

5. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

Hi Robert,
    I can certainly take pictures to document the radiation surveys. In fact, that is a great idea and I will do that from now on. I understand your concern and see how this can be seen as a "scam". I'm new here but I assure you that I am who I say I am and my intentions are true. I've always enjoyed the ocean but have recently taken on a renewed hyper-interest. In fact, I am considering starting a non-profit organization to conduct marine research.
    Besides the proposal I've presented here, I hope to meet more local fisherman and make new friends.

6. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

P.S. The only "angle" I have is clearly presented - the piece of fish I would get (in the name of Science and a meal for my family).

7. "KNOT HOME"

Had I known this in the last month...I would have given you bluefin tuna slabs to test.... PM me your contact info and well get in touch....

Seasons coming to a close rapidly it seems but you never know.... November may go wide.....

8. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

Bummer Randy!

I’d like to continue testing my own fish periodically and anyone else’s fish if they are interested. So just keep me in mind in the future. I’ll work with some really smart colleagues I have to make this a proper research study.

I’ll send you a PM with my contact info.

9. wils

wils Well-Known Member

send me some filets, too, Randy. Packed good and tight in dry ice should contain all that radiation. I'll let you know if i glow in the dark after dinner. :)

10. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

that's funny

11. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

HahaLOL!
    Oregon, eh...? You know, salmon (being a "long-range" fish) may accumulate radiation in it's travels. Don't know if you catch any, but I'd gladly test it for you! Or I guess you could just let us know when you don't need a night light any more:eek:.

But on a serious note, as a fisherman that feeds his family with local catch on a regular basis, I would like to know if there is a higher chance now for my (or a relative's) hair to fall out or for me to die from cancer before it actually happens.... Continuous monitoring of local fish for radiation will provide consumers with facts about what they are eating. The goal of this research study is to be proactive versus reactive (no pun intended).

12. wils

wils Well-Known Member

Seriousness aside......

What are your base numbers on Anacapa/Santa Cruz Calico Bass and sheephead for future comparisons?
    Are the numbers higher or lower than they were pre-Fukushima nuclear plant disaster?
    Did calico bass and sheephead migrate from Japan?
    If not, how are their radiation numbers tied to Fukushima?
    How much radiation is being carried via trans-oceanic currents from Fukushima to Smugglers Cove?
    If I cook my filets in ALUMINUM FOIL PACKAGES, will the radiation stay away?

so many questions; so few facts

PS: do you eat the rockfish that eat the stuff that eminates from and around the oil platforms?

13. "KNOT HOME"

:embarassed:
    For a Second I thought I signed onto Bloody Decks..................

14. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

Bill,
    You said, “So many questions, so little facts.”… I like this. This is exactly how I feel but could not put it into a short statement. To answer your questions (which are great by the way):

1. I can't post the excel table here "nicely" but would be happy to email it to anyone that is interested. Basically, all fish besides the calico have been within the background measurements. The calico peaked at just above the background. I'll think of an easy way to post results in a thread.

2. I don’t know if the levels are higher now than they were before. Better start measuring late than never though… right?

3. No, as you and others know, local fish do not migrate. This is why I came here - to try to get a wider array of samples to survey.

4. Radiation found in local fish would indicate that the local environment is already polluted with radiation. This leads to #5.

5. Another perfect question! I don’t know how much radiation is carried over. I do know that Universities have done modeling on currents in the Pacific and have indicated that we should be expecting radiation to get here. I’ll try to find some back-up for this.

6. If you cook a fish that has an elevated radiation level in foil, the foil will help keep the radiation inside. When you, me, my daughter, my wife, my mother and father or anyone consumes that fish, they will be eating all the radiation that is in the fish. Even wearing a tin foil hat will not prevent the radiation from entering your body.

Thank you for asking questions Bill. At first I thought you were being a bit short with the “newb” but I now appreciate having to answer your questions.

15. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

;)No, that's how Bill is....he's a good guy I can say that....it raises concerns about freshwater as well especially when radiation clouds have been released in the air and get blown to other areas:dunno:

16. wils

wils Well-Known Member

A sense of humor AND real answers. You are a great addition to GetBent. :notworthy:

17. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

I see Joe, I'll cut him some slack.

Regarding the "concerns about freshwater", I would be worried less about local freshwater fish and more about sourced fish and about what the clouds containing radiation particles that passed over our heads did to our bodies and our surroundings. I believe most of the long-range (reaching US) airborne radiation is long gone and settled. The large releases were during the initial and subsequent explosions. Yes, the settlements may still be having an impact but that is for the most part a “done deal”.

The bigger concern is ongoing, unaddressed, and with no apparent end in sight. There are still thousands of gallons of contaminated water leaking into the ground and the ocean every day. It has been over two and a half years since the tsunami that crippled the nuclear power plant. Since that day, every day, yesterday, today and tomorrow, thousands of gallons of radioactive water has leaked into our ocean. This may end up being the worst environmental disaster ever. It is also turning out to be the most downplayed.

Because we are all “just bricks in the wall”, there is not much we can do to address the actual problem. We can however choose whether we feed ourselves and our little bricks fish that may increase the chance of health issues.

#17 Andrey, Oct 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  18. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

So I'm in?
    Well, that was easy! Just kidding, I hope to become a valuable contributor to the board. Thank you for the unofficial welcome:thumbsup:.

19. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

If I ever catch a legal halibut in this lifetime, you can test it.LOL.
    If Wils hasn't sniffed you out as an enviro nut case, then I guess your in. Getting Randys
    cooperation would validate your intentions even more.
    It's popcorn time….

20. wils

wils Well-Known Member

Andrey - can you run your geieioger counter over Carpfisher? :rofl: