High Levels of Radiation in Your Fish?

Discussion in 'West Coast' started by Andrey, Oct 29, 2013.

1. wils

wils Well-Known Member

Aw, heck. you caught my eye with your reported runs to Catalina in your 15' whaler. :eyepopping:

2. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Boston Whalers are awesome had one when I lived in Key West trolled Ballyhoo in deep blue waters, made runs to Marquesas Islands those are really tough boats!

3. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

Go Paul! Good luck catching that Halibut! I need my first one as well….

Yes Bill, when I meet Paul to test his first legal Halibut, I’ll have the instrument with me to measure him as well. Will report the findings back when I’ve got ‘em.

Regarding the small Whaler running to the local islands, I thought that would not be a big deal here. Don’t ya’ll do long range trips on your ‘yaks to fish San Clemente? I’ve only been to Catalina once, Santa Cruz three times, and Anacapa thirty times in the last two years.

4. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

Hey ya'll! So it’s been a while and a lot has happened. I’ve gotten quite a bit of feedback on this and have decided to make it a real research study to make sure it gets done right. Since then, I’ve started a nonprofit organization – Anacapa Marine Research Institute (AMRI). We’ve applied for a Scientific Collecting Permit with the CA DFW and submitted a couple of proposals to help fund our research. Our lab is set up (with Gamma Spectroscopy equipment) and we’ve done some initial testing. We are also working with the VC Star to provide some publicity.

The initial tests of samples submitted by someone on this site were all clean.

Take a look at our website – anacaparesearch.org for more information. You can help this project succeed by spreading the word about our work and donating to the nonprofit. Your donations will allow us to analyze more samples.

Feel free to contact me with any questions on the subject.
    Thank you for your support.

5. Rip

Rip Well-Known Member

Good to hear the fish are testing clean so far.

6. SnickSnack72

SnickSnack72 Well-Known Member

Hey Andrey, could you e mail me the spread sheets? Im very interested. I live on the delta, and I know a guy I see at the landing doing a similar mercury/radiation study from the bay to the river mouths. [email protected]

7. Wavehopper

Wavehopper Well-Known Member

Well..that clinches it for me. After reading through the whole string I can only deduce that a remake of Godzilla Vs Mothra will be a long way off.

8. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

9. ReelEmIn

ReelEmIn Member

This sounds like a win win for everyone, lets do it.

10. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

Hi Jorge, yes, it is a win win for everyone! At first we were looked at as a negative for the local fishing community because of all the doom and gloom talk about the radiation release. Now, this has changed to us being a positive because we are showing that local fish is "clean".

11. pgately

pgately Member

12. Yakman

Yakman Well-Known Member

GOOD to know, eating tuna 4-5 days a week since May, and not glowing yet! LOL

13. wils

wils Well-Known Member

why has "there was never a problem" changed you into "good guys". You guys tried to raise a ruckus (AND $$$$$$) where there was none.

14. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

Ah, Bill is back at hackling me.... I thought we were cool because I take my 15 Whaler to Catalina?!???

To me (and many, many others), it was never “there was never a problem”, it was, “Is there a problem?” and “Will there be a problem?”. Also, I don’t know if what we did constitutes raising a ruckus. Is asking questions and pursuing answers to those questions raising a ruckus? Should we sit by idly and wait to be fed the standard line from those that often lie or withhold information?
    As far as raising money, yes, it does take some to conduct a valid research project (especially if it has to do with catching fish and then analyzing it in a lab). Is it bad of us to try to raise money to conduct this research? By the way, at this point, this endeavor is almost entirely self-funded….

15. wils

wils Well-Known Member

let us not forget to pimp your website for some more $$$$$:

anacaparesearch.org

I'm sure that there is lots more arm waving to be done that needs additional funding. Theres still lots of internet mileage yet to be explored.

PS: I forgot to thank you for letting me know that CI seafood is safer to eat than spending the day in the sun catching it is. :notworthy:

16. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

Thanks for the plug Bill! I always thought that me posting the link to our site only once in this thread wasn't enough....