How do I build a rod?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by DementedFish, August 9, 2004.

1. DementedFish

DementedFish Banned

I really would like to build a rod, but I'm not sure how.

First, I need to know what supplies to buy. Are these all the supplies I need to make a rod?

Rod Blank

Guides

Rod Wrapping Thread

Cork Tape

Shrink Tube

Butt Cap

Tip Glue

Rod Finish

Rod Dryer

Rod Wrapper

Batman gave me this information a while ago, and I was wondering what a shrink tube, tip glue, and a rod dryer are.

Also, if possible, can someone explain to me in detail how I need to
    build it, or a website where I can find this information? Thanks.

2. Joey805

Administrator

Post moved to the rod building forum.

3. Bearfish

Bearfish Well-Known Member

Yeah dude...you
    want info and some killer insight...call Scott at A.R.C. and I know he
    can help you out....after all ....he is at the very least....pretty
    good at wrappin rods...hehe..sorry Scott.</font></span>

4. Sinker

Hopefully Scott will jump on and give you a list. It depends on what type of reel seat you will be using and what type of grips you want to use. You may be able to purchase the items from Scott and so you don't have to buy a rod dryer he may finish the rod for you at a reasonable price although I can not speak for him.

5. Joey805

Administrator

Scott at ARC is a master rod builder in my opinion. I have never seen a more beautiful rod made anywhere. His work is EXCELLENT without a doubt.

Now if I could just get him to build me a few more rods, I would be in good shape (hint hint) [​IMG]

6. DementedFish

DementedFish Banned

What's a rod dryer?

7. Joey805

Administrator

Anyone care to write up a Rod Building Basics - 101?

LOL

8. DementedFish

DementedFish Banned

well, obviously a rod dryer dries a rod lol. I mean, what does it look like? Is it completely necessary to have one?

9. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

I know how to build a rod............Call Scott and order one or two or three! LOL

10. Bearfish

Its a thing that
    spins the rods real slow so the finish coat doesnt develope drips. I
    think...yeah...but I dont know anything else besides what I learned
    from Scott...so....CALL THE DUDE....he can and will help...unless hes
    really busy then he will tell you to call back.</font></span>

11. Skunkmaster

Skunkmaster Well-Known Member

my suggestion would be call scott at arc too. after you buy all the stuff you need you will spend more than you would to have scott do it for ya!

12. Sinker

Yes it is VITAL for a smooth even finish of your flex coat.

You can make one out of a variable speed drill if you could get one to go slow enough. I like to let mine dry overnight. I do not have a separate rod dryer but I do have a power wrapper that has a dryer setting on it. Works for me as I just repair rods and only one at a time. People like Scott who build multiple rods at a time need separate rod dryers.

13. Finadict

Finadict Well-Known Member

LOL mmmm letts see....how to build a rod......First lets start with specifics...what type of rod? what grip configuration? Building a rod is not incredibly difficult...but there many steps involved to do it right, and a few specialty tools required. You need to evaluate why you want to take on such a task. To save money? If this is the case you would be better off buying a rod....the first rod you build will not be cheap...and its the one you will be learning on....mistakes will happen and the result might not be what you expect. I would never try to discourage anyone from learning to build their own rods, It is a rewarding experience, but many guys try it thinking they will save a lot of money, when in fact, by the time you pay retail for the components, and aquire the thread, adhesives, finish , and misc supplies needed for the first rod....you could be into it for a couple hundred bucks....and thats without a rod wrapping tool or machine...or finisher. The money will be saved on the next couple of rods because the adhesives , finishes,thread etc..is packaged with enough to do several average rods.

So, I would suggest that you consider planning to build 3 or 4 rods over the next few months(keep in mind the adhesives and finishes have a shelf life). Another Idea would be to have an experienced builder with the right tools install the grips and reelseat properly on spine to the blank and mark the correct guide placementfor your specific blank model....all of the messy and technical stuff. Then you wrap the guides, do all of the fancy color andthreadwork.....all of the creative stuff,without the messy cleanup and cost of adhesives,supplies...etc. Then return it to the builder for a couple of coats of epoxy finish, and a cure on a slow rpm rod dryer.These services are offered by most tackle shops, and are relatively inexpensive. A typical grip/seat install(usualy called "kitting up a rod") usualy runs about $30 + parts. A typical finish job is around $25.

If yould would rather do it yourself from the ground up Ill need just a little more info on what you would like to build, and I can come up with a reasonable list of what you will need.

Do you have the blank and components yet?

If not, do you know what kind of rod you want to build...and its application..ie, trolling, jigstick for throwing iron, live bait stick, plastics rod for calicos....etc?

What kind of grip setup...deckhand(all corktape w/no seat)...hypalon with seat...natural cork....?

When you figure out exactly what you want to do, post it here, and I'll reply with a list of stuff you will need. I think between Batty, Pescador and myself we could walk you step by step through the process of your first rod...maybe with pics!

[​IMG]

14. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think that is all you need if you are still building a cork tape rod.

IF you want to build a rod with those black spongy grips you will need a fre grip and a rear grip of hypalon or eva a reel seat some Devcon 2ton Epoxy and some fiber glass tape to put together the handle.

Shrink tubing is a black plastic material that goes over the cork tape and gives you a place to place your reel.

Bearfish explained the rod dryer pretty good. You will need one if you want to do the finish yourself.

You can make a simple rod wrapper for free. All you need is:

1 Coffe Mug

Thick book

2 or 3 Card board boxes

Cut V's in opposite sides of the card board box and put some masking tape across the V if you wish. Place your thread in the coffe mug and run the thread through the bottom half of the book to apply tension. Use an old or crummy book(I used my spanish book:)) because the thread may slice through the pages. Place the rod across the boxes so its weight is supported and begin wrapping. I didn't explain that too good but you get the idea.

I would be willing to write how to wrap a rod ( I made my own personal copy:D) but I think most of you would rather have Scott write it lol

Demented fish,Scott may not answer you this week.He is going to be on a 4 dayer on the Vagabond and won't be in the shop.

Check your PM for some helpful links.

Batman

15. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Lol Ok looks Like he didn't leave yet

DF, I told you your wern't going to save any moneylol

Batman

16. Finadict

I'll be here....had to give up my spot on the trip. Too much going on here to leave for 4 days.

17. Bearfish

I didnt want to
    over step my boundries and make Scott feel inadequet but damn....thats
    exactly what I was gonna say . AAAAAND then I fell out of bed and
    wondered where the hell was and why....LOL</font></span>

18. Finadict

LOL bear! I hope nobody (especialy demented fish) took my reply the wrong way....I DONT WANT TO DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM LEARNING TO BUILD RODS!......its just that ive encouraged a quite a few people to do so over the years, and a few came back at me asking why didnt I warn them about what they are realy getting into....lol . But many have built several rods, and love it!

19. Skunkmaster

Skunkmaster Well-Known Member

that would be an awesome skill to learn.... the wife would hate it.... when im not fishing or working id be making rods!

20. Bearfish

I dont think he
    would take it the wrong way man...hes a pretty straight kid and all
    that. I myself am still tryin to figure out how I personally can learn
    that craft and stuff. You ever think about a canyon country
    branch man??? It would kick butt out here with all the freshy guys
    here. And that Dennis Braid dude lives over here some place along with
    that dude that owns all coast....local hot shots with the dollars to
    drop...HEHE...but seriously...I wish I could get in somewhere and learn
    it big time. And Like Skunk said...the wife wouldnt care much for
    it....it would be like this...You workin today...nope...fishin?
    nope...wrappin rods...yup...sigh....then a few hours later....I come
    runnin out all excited....JEN JEN....check it out...cool colors huh???
    AW man ..you gotta check out this one...oh and this one too....(inda
    like when Im at A.R.C.) and all she would do is roll her eyes and
    say....hmm...cool. AHHHH the life of me....I dont think it could get
    much better than that....LMAO!!!!</font></span>