How to build your own lobster trap hoop net puller

Discussion in 'Boat Talk' started by mochosla, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mochosla

mochosla Well-Known Member

Okay my friends, with all the excitement about the lobster season starting I decided to post pictures of the puller I made last season. I only got to use it once (made it towards the end of the season) but it worked just fine.

Steps:

Go to IMS (Industrial Metal Supply) in Sun land (SFV in LA) and buy 7' of 1.5" X .16 thickness stainless steel pipe.

Take the pipe to a muffler place and have it bent in 90 degrees leaving a 5' long side and the rest to the other side

Now, you can do a couple of things, you can use your 25 degree angle rod holder or replace the holder with a straight 90 degree one.

Put the pipe in your rod holder and see what the best position for your boat is and mark where the notch needs to be cut on the bottom of the tube.

Use a Makita grinder and cut the notch on the pipe. The width of the notch is about .25' wide by .5' deep.

You can get a very inexpensive pulley like the one I used @ OSH or you can buy the nice one for $50 at this place:

Open Block Pulley with Swivel [F008] - $49.99 : Folbe Products, Get the Folbe Advantage!

Once you have the pipe with the notch and all, measure where the pulley needs to be mounted by using one of your traps to make sure you install it at the right distance. Drill your holes to mount the pulley and you are done.

Let me know if you have any questions. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
    #1 mochosla, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. tykim717

tykim717 Well-Known Member

looks like the rig out of deadliest catch! nice!

3. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

You still have to pull the rope.....need an automatic puller like ie: rsonl541, ICEE, baitfish13, J Woodman, get it!:rofl:

4. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

Nice!!!! I may have to make one of of these....

Thanks for the great info.

5. ICEE

ICEE Well-Known Member

GEEZ, THAT WAS ONE TIME WHILE IN COLLEGE!!:embarassed:

6. Non fishin fool

Non fishin fool Well-Known Member

I have a better trap puller I call it "The Boy". Only bad part is I have to feed mine.

7. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Thought I was going to be around the corner from the metal yard today but had to go south instead. Will let you guys know current prices once I check into them.

8. mochosla

mochosla Well-Known Member

9. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

LOL this is the one I was looking at for a little while. I have a plate in the boat already on the floor and a coupler for the side. No need to rip out my gunnel's with one of those base plate down rigger models.

Davit arm

10. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Revisiting post:

I picked up the tubing at industrial for 56 bucks. They charge ya by the pound and it come out to 8 pounds (7.7) and it is 6 bucks a pound then tax.

Went to a place today that wanted 75 bucks to put one bend in it with a mandrill press. I told him I would look around and if I couldn't find it cheaper that I would come back. He said "it will be more if you come back". I give you two guesses what I said next and you should only need one guess.

The muffler shop had a press bender that cost me a 12 pack of Pepsi. Ya he just wanted ONE but I bought him a 12ver. NO he didn't want beer I asked lol.

Now I can't find a pulley (Lowe's, osh, harbor freight, home depot NADA) but I have tomorrow hehehe. If all goes well I will be on the water this weekend pulling the skunk but at least I will be out.

Pics to come when I am done hehehe.

11. kingcrab

kingcrab New Member

hey guys i am a newbie but had a great season out here with the big lobsters that traveled down from the north (maine). i have been tearing the crap out of my gunnel and this is what i need.great pic and info pulling by hand isnt that bad at 90 feet.its the back that hurts a little.how about adding a second stationary pulley to this ?

12. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Well I am looking into alternatives to the open block pulley as I can't find one around here. I should have just ordered on before or looked into it better but no one around here has one. A stationary pulley would be difficult because you would have to run the stringers lower and there isn't really a way to keep it strong enough to hold up. Now they have one that you run the rope over the top and pull it that way but it doesn't stick out far enough to keep the side the of the boat from getting tore up. Pic of one is on the Folbe site above. HERE too.

13. PilotLight

PilotLight Well-Known Member

Hey Drew, found this and thought it might help.
    Kel
    BLOCKS

14. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

LOL ya found them too Kelly but thanks. They are in hesperia and don't really want to drive that far. I found a rigging place in Burbank that says they have what I need. I will be running there tomorrow so I hope so. Good thing gas is getting cheaper so I can do this heheh.

I was hopping to find a commercial fishing place that I could just walk in an buy it but the only 2 I found were in long beach and only one had a open block like the one Mochosla bought at OSH but they wanted 155 for it. I figured I would just order the 45 dollar one heheh.

15. TheExcuse

TheExcuse New Member

Dont forget the cleat and you might want to put a tube butt on it so as to not damage your boat. I make these and sell them for around $190 folbe block, powder coated to your color request and all. If you dont want to go through the hassel let me know, i can have one ready for you in a few days.

16. jodi805

jodi805 Well-Known Member

got a unused open block pully for sale 30.00. made for pulling traps.

17. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

You guys do realize this thread is 2 years old right?

18. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

19. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

20. jodi805

jodi805 Well-Known Member

yeah but the info still good. Alot of old posts are being pulled up again,perhaps GB can run that reminder on old posts .