How to: Measure lobster.

Discussion in 'West Coast' started by Carnivore, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Measuring Lobster

Written: by Drew Baumgartner.​

Ok been meaning to put this up to the tips and tricks area for some time. Some people new to lobster fishing might find this helpful in measuring lobster for legal size. I used a more then legal lobster for this to make the pictures easier to see.

Things to know.
    As of this date November 15, 2007 the legal length of California spiny lobster is 3 1/4 inches from the horn between the eyes to the edge of the carapace. The pictures in this article will show what the definition of these points are. When measuring lobster remember that it is illegal to bring into your boat any lobster that is illegal size (I.E. short). Lobster must be measured on the outside of the boat and immediately released if found to be to short. All related information can be found on the Department of fish and game website here California Department of Fish & Game.

How to measure.
    This isn't easy sometimes and the lobster will not make it any easier. Make sure you have a accurate measuring gauge. Either one bought from the store like a promar or you can make one at home. In these picture I am using a promar lobster only gauge. They make ones that have the crab sizes on the other side but they are rather large.

First hold the lobster so you can get to the top of carapace. Now take your gauge and put it in front of and between the eyes of the lobster.

[​IMG]

Now slide the gauge back toward the tail of the lobster till it stops. This is the forward point for gauging.

[​IMG]

The gauge shouldn't move back anymore if it does, start from the beginning again till you hit it right. Smaller lobster will be more difficult to get right but take your time and get it right. A ticket for a short is expensive.

Once you are in the right place up front then you can push the gauge down in the back of the carapace. This picture shows where the carapace ends and the tail sections begins.

[​IMG]

Make sure you know the difference. Obviously the tail section will move independently from the carapace. It should have the little hairs at the end of the carapace too. If your gauge is accurate then it is legal if it snaps over the end of the carapace but wiggle this end of the gauge and make sure it can't move from side to side. If it does and it is over the end of the carapace, it is short and needs to go back. Below is a short Lobster.

[​IMG]

This would be a just legal lobster below.

[​IMG]

with out any side to side movement. Below is just how much bigger this lobster is then a just legal one.

[​IMG]

There is no maximum size for lobster only minimum. If you get a few like this one you will have a great night on your hands. Remember you have to carry a gauge device with you when fishing for lobster or you can get a ticket. Good luck and happy hunting.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
    #1 Carnivore, Nov 16, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  2. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Hay guys this will be going into the tips and tricks page but take a sec and read through it. If there are any mistakes please let me know I will change them up. SUPERSPELLCHECKGUY where are you when we oops I need ya.

3. Herbo

Herbo Well-Known Member

THANX CARN!!! great info...will clear up all questions that have been asked:cool2:Herbo

4. cappo5150

cappo5150 Well-Known Member

Well done Drew. Only noticed one mistake. Since when do you shoot lobsters?

Below is a shot Lobster.

5. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

good job on the catch cappo. I proof read it about 12 times and still missed it thanks.

6. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

7. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

Here 'ya go on the proof reading.

8. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

SWEET I AM A PUBLISH AUTHOR!!!! lol my engrish teachr is sinnin in her grav.

9. lobzila

lobzila Active Member

Carni,
    Great post, but you made one mistake which will cost someone a ticket. If the gauge falls over the back of the carapace at all, it is considered a short lobster. Yeah, I know I argured that one in court as well and lost. It does not matter that it was touching the carapace and had no wiggle room. It was still under the 3.25", and thus a short lobster. Dont take a chance, if the gauge goes over at all, its short in the eyes of the DFG.

10. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

I all ways measured it by how much butter I can get on it in one dunk.

11. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

but that is relative to how big a piece you have on your fork. Man I miss the Rio.

12. YakSailor

YakSailor Well-Known Member

If you're from Boston, it IS "shot."

If fact, it's WICKED shot.

Nice write-up, Drew. I always wondered how to measure one of those things...with gloves on!

13. DLW

DLW Member

Is this one ok?

Our biggest hooped one yet 8.2.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
    #13 DLW, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  14. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Ya thats a nice one man. 10 pounds is the biggest I have hit so far.

15. Big-D

Big-D Well-Known Member

If it takes a 1/2 lb of butter to eat it, "IT'S LEGAL"

Big-D and the Dog