Info needed

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Bearfish, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Bearfish

Bearfish Well-Known Member

Im lookin into having a rod built for me sometime in the future as I saw Batmans acid wrap and I love the colors and stuff. Its sad...I only want to do it for the colors. What I need to know is what blank should I get? I want to use it for salt and striper so I want it to be a pretty heavy rod but as for length Im unsure of. I have a 9 footer and I love it but I think its a little to much for striper (EXTRA HEAVY). Any suggestions from you guys who know whats what in this section would be great. Oh and NO Im not getting an acid wrapped rod. Thanks in advance.

2. Bearfish

Oh yeah and its in the distant future...like when I win the lottery or get my settlement or something. So there is no real rush on it. Im just checkin.

3. Carnivore

Well if you are going to have it done then I would talk to the person doing it and see what he/she uses for blanks. I would assume if it is a lottery set up then ARC would be the place to go. I just found all of my G-pa's rapping stuff so I will be making some soon and need to learn more about blanks too but I am with you about those acids. I have nothing against them but nothing for them either.

I agree with you though about Batman's work, it is top notch and I am very impressed. I would love to be able to get mine to look like that but with the guides a little "STRAIGHTER" though hehehehe.:D

4. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

there are several rod blank manufacturers that can fit the bill. but just your targeted fish and length of rod isnt enough to go by. heres a few things you might want to be sure of before you start to describe the rod that you want built:
    <UL>
    <LI>length</LI>
    <LI>action/taper</LI>
    <LI>power</LI>
    <LI>construction (graphite? glass? composite?)</LI>
    <LI>line rating</LI>
    <LI>target fish</LI>
    <LI>lure weights</LI>
    <LI>PRICE</LI>[/list]

then of course once youve figured out what kind of blank to use, there are the types of guides, types of handle material, type of reel seat, decoration, etc. and expect to pay out some loot for this if youre getting the best that you can get.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And don't forget to tell us what lb test range you are looking for. There are many blanks out there so you have to answer afew of these questions so we could give you a better answer.

P.S. If you want a fancy but wrap you will have to ask you builder if he can do that. I don't know of any who would do weaves or stuff like that.

Batman

6. Bearfish

Wel seeings how I dont know when I am going to be able to do this Ive got the time.....but as for the info you say to give up....here it goes....Keep in mind I know nothing about rod building and stuff, but what I hear is good so dont laugh to much before you reply.

Length...8 foot

action...fast

power...HEavy?

constuction....what is better?

Line Rating...15-40....is that possible?

Target fish...Striper and up....dont ask what cuz I havent figured that out yet...like yellow fin and stuff like that...calicos and rock fish. Remember...Im new to this so if Im heading in the wrong direction....tell me....

Lure wieghts....1-5 or 6 oz

Reel seats...????????

Line guides.....GOOD ONES....????????????

Decoration.....I was thinkin about blue purple and red but havent really thought about HOW to do it. I wanted it to look wicked and one of a kind. With my name on it naturally...but I dont know how to go about all that.

Butt wrap....now is that a new guy joke or is it for real?

Handle....cork

In a nut shell thats what I have in my head....DOable or pipe dreamin?

Thanks guys.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well it looks like you want a Calstar 270H(fast) or a 6480 (extra fast). You will aslo have to get a handle that is 1.5" to 2" wide because the blanks is kind of large.

Yes, a butt wrap is real. It is the thread art just above the foregrip.

Batman

8. Sinker

not to mention if the color of the guide wraps is that important to you then research your threads as well as they have different characteristics especially how they react with the flex coat - some colors will change, darken and even become a bit transparent - so much to learn and such little time sure wish I had unlimited funds to learn all I wanted and of course the time to do it as well.

9. Carnivore

If you had unlimited funds why make them just have some one you like do it so you can go fishing with you new reels and your new boat with all that beer in the new cooler and the bikini babes that.........:blahblah:

10. Bearfish

MAn...there is alot to figure out aint there.....

Hey Sinker...what kind of guides are those on your fenwicks? Exclusive to fenwick or readily available? And do you like em? I think they would make the one I am contemplating look that much more wicked and cool. As long as they are a good guide....I want the best I can get but not the most expensive....unless the money I get is more than expected....LOL

11. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

ok lets see. for what you asked for... this is what id get:
    <UL>
    <LI>seeker g-6480 (black steel) blank ~$85</LI>
    <LI>cork tape or cork grips with reel seat? cork tape ~$10, cork grips ~$15-30 depending on quality of cork, reel seat ~$7-15 for graphite ~$10-25 for aluminum (i would go EVA w/ heavy duty high quality graphite seatmyself, not cork for this rod)</LI>
    <LI>guides ~$60 Fuji SiC gunsmoke set of ten (my choice), ~$35 varmac or pacbaysmoke stainless set of ten, ~$20-30 pacbay shiny stainless set of ten, ~$15-20 pacbay smoke frame ceramic set of ten</LI>
    <LI>gudebrod thread $3 per spool. gudebrod NCP (no color protectant needed) $5-7 per spool. a spool will take care of the whole rod. </LI>[/list]

labor: factors to think about
    <UL>
    <LI>the more colors involved with the guide, the more the builder will charge you... and the more weight youre eventually going to add to the rod. i prefer one color, but for a rod that heavy, it doesnt hurt to go three colors in a triple wrap (red sz A underwrap, blue guide wrap and purple at the feet in sz C, gold trim in two or three wraps spliced into the ends of the red)</LI>
    <LI>decorative butt wraps, depending on the difficulty will have costs accordingly.</LI>
    <LI>your name, if weaved, depending on the intricacy, will cost much more than just having the builder write your name on the rod. or you can get vynil stickers made (like on rice rocket fast and furious cars) for fairly cheap, but somewhat lack the overall custom look of the rod. i would have the name woven.</LI>[/list]

now take the cost of all the parts and add 50% for labor, plus whatever "extras" (discretion of the builder what is considered extra) you want for the rod.

so lets see, judging by what i would get from what you described, this rod would cost somewhere around $250-300. keep in mind that the prices i put up were estimated off the top of my head. and the labor charges are based ontheleast expensive of my own personalpay options. some may charge way less. some may charge way more. but if youre really serious about getting a rod built, like i said, expect to pay out some loot to get top dollar stuff. most of the cost comes from the parts. labor is somewhat trivial after that, coming out to about $75-100 for several hours (like i said depending on the difficulty of the options you chose) of work.

12. Bearfish

Now Im swimmin in it...man there is a hefty price to pay to having something no one else has. But still...not to terrible...I thought it was gonna be like 500 bucks or something.